Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > 260 Remington model 700 target project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 01:15 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

The nice thing about sizing up is that it does uniform the necks a little. I have just been one that always goes down and not up.

It is a sweet lookin stick you got though.

Can I ask why a break on a 260 recoil is not that bad on a 260?

Old 07-19-2010, 02:27 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

the smith suggested one, and i said why? the recoil isnt that bad, and he said well if you want there wont be any lol.

I think he puts them on everything he builds except rimfires. I saw one of the breaks before he did any work to it and it looked like a 2inch diameter piece of steel with holes drilled through it. Appearently he threads it for the barrel and turns it down to the correct size on his lathe, each one is a custom fit. My only problem with it is that it has a different finished look than the rest of the barrel.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:22 PM   #13

Have it duracoated all one color is what I would do. I am analretentive about that kind of stuff as well man.

What optics are are toppin her with?

I would go with a Sightron SIII 10-50x60mm

That is one great piece of glass right there. Many are switching to it from a Leupold for LR stuff.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:04 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i think im gona go with the IOR Valdada gen 4 first focal plane 3-18 (snipers hide edition). At first i really considered going with the sightron because its such a great scope for the money, but whats another 5 or 6 hundred bucks in the long run? The ior has everything i could want short of a schmidt and bender. The ior's offer a few things the Sightron's do not. FFP, a choice of some seriously bad ass reticules, adjustments and reticule in the same dimensions (mils), and an elevation knob that gets you out to 1k in one rotation with .260

Old 07-20-2010, 01:08 AM   #15

That IOR sounds like a winner man.

Lets hurry up I wanna see some small ass groups.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:32 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ya well if we can get a sm donation going for me in about the 2k range (scope and some more reloading and cleaning equipment) then itll be next week or so, but real world time = Christmas at best.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:06 AM   #17

Sell kids, sperm, and blood plasma hey you can get $50 to 60k for a kidney on the black market.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:08 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Sell kids, sperm, and blood plasma hey you can get $50 to 60k for a kidney on the black market.
i was thinking male prostitution or stripping. Old rich women need love too......but they gotta pay

Old 07-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #19

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC View Post
the smith suggested one, and i said why? the recoil isnt that bad, and he said well if you want there wont be any lol.

I think he puts them on everything he builds except rimfires. I saw one of the breaks before he did any work to it and it looked like a 2inch diameter piece of steel with holes drilled through it. Appearently he threads it for the barrel and turns it down to the correct size on his lathe, each one is a custom fit. My only problem with it is that it has a different finished look than the rest of the barrel.
As I said earlier, some use a brake and some don't for this caliber of rifle.

Either way, the idea is to not move your position and keep your eye in the scope as you shoot and cycle the action of the rifle for constant accuracy on target. You may find that you don't need a brake to do this, however, it's nice to have the end of the barrel threaded if you find that you do need a brake.

A female threaded blank or cover cap can be made to thread over the end of the barrel to protect the threads on the barrel if you don't use a brake.

In these long range events (if your going to go there) it's not uncommon to put 100 plus rounds down the pipe in a single day. A brake may aid in giving more comfort past 60 or so rounds. IMO better comfort equals better accuracy.

Regardless, if your going to use a muzzzle brake a timed brake is the way to go.

This is the brake I have now, it's about mid way down this page and is the one depicted in the right most picture. This outfit makes them in stainless as well as chrome-alloy steel. Call Dale at Elite Iron and see what brake he has that is best for your intended use.

Elite Iron High Quality Suppressors

Last edited by mrm14; 07-21-2010 at 04:42 PM.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

looks like quality stuff right there. To tell you the truth if i lived in a rational state, instead of the Idiocracy that is Illinois i would have said screw the break and just saved up for a supressor. I think the supressor is truly the way to go but for some reason Illinois deems them to be evil. Lets not get started on Illinois gun laws, thats another thread.

What are your opinions on the effect that different muzzle devices have on pure accuracy? I agree a break reduces felt recoil therefore making you able to be more accurate over an extended period of time, but how do breaks and supressors compare to a proper target crown without any type of muzzle device?