Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > 1927 Colt Sistema Rebuild Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I bought all the internals of a 1971 Colt Government 1911, including the barrel. All parts are like new take-offs. I gave those parts to the smith. There will be several parts that he will supply.
Here's what will be done:

Fit the new barrel and throat and polish the chamber
Polish the feedramp
Fit a beavertail grip safety and commander style hammer
Fit an extended strong side safety
Install a flat mainspring housing
Trigger job using the existing trigger if possible
Dovetail the slide and install Wilson Combat low profile/non snag three dot sights
Install all new internal parts and springs
Install new gripscrew bushings
Reblue the entire pistol

I'm going to give him a call today and have him lower and flare the ejection port. I forgot to put that on the list.

He figures about two months to do the actual smithing, however, he doesn't blue all the time, so that will probably stretch the timing out a bit.

The expenditure, including the pistol equals the price of a new Dan Wesson Pointman 7. It may seem goofy to spend this kind of money on an old warhorse, but it's exactly because it is an old warhorse that I'm doing this. It is also a fifty year old pistol with history that will be rebuilt to my specifications.

I'm pretty stoked.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 08-24-2010 at 05:06 AM.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:08 PM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I admire the kind of commitment it takes to be away from one of your guns for two or three months. I'd go nuts! My gunsmith has been working on my least favourite gun for a couple of weeks and I'm already loosing it.

I love to see an old warrior brought back to life. That pistol certainly found a good home.

About it's history, 1959 was one of the few years when we had a democratic government in Argentina. From then up to 1983 we had quite a few military dictators.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:47 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thank you for the information.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-12-2009, 10:57 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I must admit that I'm beginning to feel some withdrawal symptoms. I broke down and called the gunsmith today. He hasn't started on it yet. He's ordered some parts and is waiting for them to come in. My pistol hasn't made it to the front of the line yet.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:10 PM   #25

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Hang in there, my Defender went in Jan 17th and hasn't started yet!

I feel your pain Bro!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-13-2009, 12:06 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Yup. It will be worth the wait, as will yours.

I still don't do delayed gratification all that well...

Old 03-13-2009, 12:19 AM   #27

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Me too, reminds me of this:

"What are the long term affects of instant gratification?"

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-13-2009, 02:13 AM   #28

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Do gunsmiths know what we go through when our guns are away?

Mine has had my Ruger MKIII for a couple of months, I miss it like hell and it's not even my favourite gun!

Old 03-13-2009, 02:15 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

There's nothing worse than a cold hearted gunsmith.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:18 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Well, that added a lot to the conversation.