1927 Colt Sistema Rebuild Project - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > 1927 Colt Sistema Rebuild Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Good point.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-31-2009, 07:11 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'll have time to clean all the parts as well as the frame and slide this weekend.

On Tuesday, I'm taking it to a top notch 1911 gunsmith to have the barrel fitted. I checked the fit hoping to get lucky, but I didn't. I do not have the skill to fit a barrel yet. Since it's so critical, I'm going to an expert.

I hate to admit this, but I may have him do all the work other than the simple replacement stuff. I'll get a quote and figure it out from there.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-31-2009, 07:59 AM   #13

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I'll have time to clean all the parts as well as the frame and slide this weekend. On Tuesday, I'm taking it to a top notch 1911 gunsmith to have the barrel fitted. I checked the fit hoping to get lucky, but I didn't. I do not have the skill to fit a barrel yet. Since it's so critical, I'm going to an expert. I hate to admit this, but I may have him do all the work other than the simple replacement stuff. I'll get a quote and figure it out from there.
Dude, don't under estimate yourself! Take a Zoloft and jump into the smithing stuff yourself!

When you get to a point that you become uncertain, ASK THE QUESTION here!

WE have some of the best/experienced 1911 technicians you can put your life in the hands of, and you can't beat the price!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-31-2009, 12:01 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It's nice to see one of those great Argentine guns comming back to life, especially one from my family's home province (Santa Fe)! These were made in the army's small arms factory in Rosario if I'm not mistaken, which is also in the Santa Fe province.

I can't help with any technical stuff, but I'm enjoying the process and pics a lot.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:49 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I guess I'll see how it goes.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:39 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I apologize gents. I was cleaning up a Photobucket album and deleted a bunch of photos. I wound up destroying the linked pics.

I just uploaded them again and they're back.

Today I'm taking the pieces and parts to a gunsmith to have the barrel fitted and some other work done. Depending on cost, I'm going to have him do the most difficult work.

I'll check back in later and let you know how it went.

Last edited by CA357; 02-03-2009 at 03:46 PM.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:26 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default done that

I bought two of these a couple years ago from the Gander Mountain batch.

I disassembled, soaked in Evaporust, then polished out frame and slide with 400-grit sandpaper. I did not try to take it all down to a mirror finish, just leveled the flats and smoothed out the worst spots.
I cold blued one with Wheeler cold blue. Turned out pretty good. My goal was similar to yours, I didn't want it to look new, just "good". I installed all new springs and pins. I got a new $40 barrel from Sarco. it fits fine with no additional fitting -- I got lucky. Shoots very well.

The 2nd gun I polished a bit more, then left it in the white and waxed it. New springs etc. of course. Both guns got new full-checker walnut grips. I used the original barrel on this one, and it shoots pretty well too.

Nice projects. The price has gone up on Sistemas a bunch in the last couple of years.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:39 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I took it to the gunsmiths this afternoon. I'll see it again in two or three months. This smith specializes in 1911's and he does awesome work.

I guess this thread will be on hiatus until I get it back.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:05 PM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You've probably researched this already, but here's a chart that lists all the Sistema Colt pistol serial numbers and years of manufacture.

Bienvenidos a Full Aventura - El Rincón del Coleccionista > Armas antiguas - Datos de fabricación: Pistola Sistema Colt 1927

Old 02-04-2009, 03:23 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks. I've already checked. My pistol was manufactured in early 1959.