Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > The 1927 Colt is Finally Home!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2009, 03:56 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Thanks. The pistol was manufactured in 1959. It's younger than I am...

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-26-2009, 01:54 PM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!! Looking forward to a range report.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 06-26-2009, 01:54 PM   #13

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Thats a dam nice looking 1911

Old 06-26-2009, 02:08 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thank you gents. We''ll see how it shoots tomorrow. It's pretty much going to be like breaking in a new pistol.

I also pick up my Beretta Cougar 8045 today. It's ten days now and I can finally get it out of gun jail.

So, it's .45ACP day at the range tomorrow. Range reports and photos forthcoming.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-26-2009, 02:35 PM   #15

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Thank you gents. We''ll see how it shoots tomorrow. It's pretty much going to be like breaking in a new pistol.

I also pick up my Beretta Cougar 8045 today. It's ten days now and I can finally get it out of gun jail.

So, it's .45ACP day at the range tomorrow. Range reports and photos forthcoming.
I've been promised they are getting 45 ammo at the GS today. They did have some 223 and I got 100, so I'll take the AR out tomorrow. Sure hope I can bring the SW also.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:12 PM   #16

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

She turned out great! Pics look great, so in person she must really "Wow". Please post a range report after your trip to break her in.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:20 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I took it to the range this morning. It shot great, but then I couldn't keep it tight anymore. The rear sight had come loose and was drifting side to side. So I borrowed an Allen key and centered then re-tightened it. It worked loose again very quickly. Tightened it a second time and same thing happened.

So, I'll remove it, dimple the slide and Loctite the set screw. Expect a report when I can actually have a range session with it.

It fed everything pretty well, but there were several FTF's & FTE's. And when the sight was tight, it was pretty darn accurate.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:02 PM   #18

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I took it to the range this morning. It shot great, but then I couldn't keep it tight anymore. The rear sight had come loose and was drifting side to side. So I borrowed an Allen key and centered then re-tightened it. It worked loose again very quickly. Tightened it a second time and same thing happened.

So, I'll remove it, dimple the slide and Loctite the set screw. Expect a report when I can actually have a range session with it.

It fed everything pretty well, but there were several FTF's & FTE's. And when the sight was tight, it was pretty darn accurate.
Fairly typical for a new/re-freshed firearm. All look to be minor and fixable.

Check your extractor pressure. Is the extractor new?

She just needs to be exercised. And is hungry for a regular feeding!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-28-2009, 03:31 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Yeah, all things considered I'm very happy. It's like breaking in a new pistol. After all, it's a fifty year old frame and slide with a heart transplant.

I haven't had it apart yet. I have to find a bushing wrench, the bushing's so tight. I don't know if there's a new extractor or not. I believe there is. I'll take it apart later and clean and lube it up. I'll also take care of the rear sight while I'm at it.

BTW, the slide to frame fit is excellent. I was able to hand pick this pistol, so I picked one that was tight, but it's been refitted really well.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:51 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I had it out to the range last week and unbelievably the front sight worked loose. So I epoxied it (JB Weld) and I'm heading out with it in the morning.

I also polished the feedramp. It was blued along with the rest of the pistol and the nose of the bullets were just meeting too much friction to feed dependably. So, after that, there were no FTF's or FTE's last week.

I also must note that I doubled a half dozen times, the trigger is that light. I really have to get used to this pistol.

Now I just want to make sure that the sights stay put and to check the function of the mags I have for it. The two Kimber and one Novak mag that I already had work fine, but I picked up two new 8rd. CMC Power mags and two used 7rd. Wilson Combat mags that need to be tested.

I hope to post a full range report afterward. My wife has a medical evaluation in the afternoon, so I may not get the report up until Sunday.

Last edited by CA357; 07-11-2009 at 04:54 AM.