1917 Eddystone Project - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > 1917 Eddystone Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2009, 05:38 AM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I won't be hitting the range until Thanksgiving week. Then I get to zero it. I'm going to zero it with either hunting ammo or Lake City match. I'll save the Greek milsurp for the Garand.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-14-2009, 01:19 PM   #42

Liked 1434 Times on 811 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Nice job Don, be sure to get plenty of photos!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Will do.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-22-2009, 12:59 AM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Went to the range this afternoon on the spur of the moment. Sorry, no camera, so no pics. Next time, I promise.

I wanted to get the new scope zeroed. It bothers me to have a firearm that isn't ready to use.

I brought two boxes of 1963 vintage Lake City Match and one box of Greek HXP.

I used only the LCM and started at 50 yards to see where it was and was dead nuts within five or six rounds. BTW, the trigger has very little take up and breaks very crisply. I think whoever sporterized it did some work on the trigger.

Moved the target out to 100 yards with about a 10 - 15 mph wind coming straight in. High and left. It took a number of rounds to get dialed and finished the first box of LCM. The last rounds were consistently centered and within 2" to 3". That's the best I could do. The rifle shoots much more accurately than I can and I just need more range time.

I'm very happy with this rifle.

I have a question. Can the cock on closing feature be lightened any? I found it pretty stiff.
When I had the rifle apart, I stripped the bolt and lubed its innards, but it's still pretty stiff to close and lock in place.

Last edited by CA357; 11-22-2009 at 01:01 AM.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:02 AM   #45

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 47

The "cock on close" feature is one of the best features of the 1917. The weight you feel is the firing pin spring being depressed. Lighter springs can help, but may affect reliability. I just cycle mine closed faster so it isn't as noticeable.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:28 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Okay thanks for the info. I started getting used to it and it was easier to close after a while.

I'm curious though, why is cock on closing a good feature?

Old 11-22-2009, 05:56 PM   #47

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 47

"Cock on close" allows for much faster cycling. This was a very good feature for the SMLE in some of the campaigns the Brits fought in. Opening the action and retracting the bolt requires no effort, and the re-chamber and cock is a straight line action (no torque), so very little "deflect" happens. It is easier to keep a "COC" on target during bolt cycling.

I once read a report of a British Major, who could fire his SMLE so fast that the enemy thought it was a light machine gun. He was also extremely accurate.

And Chuck Taylor once demonstrated the speed of a No5 Jungle Carbine by firing at a 50 yard pepper popper. He center punched the plate, and before it had a chance to complete it's fall, he nailed it again in the same place. A virtual "double tap" with a bolt action battle rifle. (And, YES, I know that "Double Tap" has fallen out of favor and is now referred to as "Hammers" or "Controlled Pairs". I will continue to use "Double Tap", thanks.)

Most "COC" actions are not considered as accurate as "Cock on Open" actions, but while that may be technically true, it is a practical non-issue.

I hope this explanation helps.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:14 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks. I'm just going to have to get used to it. It shoots well, so it's worth the effort.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:54 PM   #49

Liked 358 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I'm curious though, why is cock on closing a good feature?
It makes extraction easier since you don't have to fight compressing the firing pin spring while raising the bolt handle to open the action.

Also provides a 'power assist' when clearing the action for a cease fire, if you have a round chambered.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:28 PM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Okay. Thanks HP. It certainly shoots very well, particularly for a milsurp rifle. I'm very impressed. I believe I can tighten my groups at 100yds. with a bit more practice. I waver too much when I aim, it's not the rifle.