Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > 1917 Eddystone Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2009, 01:44 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Me too!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The chemicals came in from Brownells yesterday. I got two coats of TruOil on the stock so far. After work today, I should be able to get another couple of coats on and I'll use the Blueing & Rust remover to start the process of reblueing on the barrel. I'll post pics later.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-08-2009, 11:47 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I got another coat of TruOil on the stock. Then I degreased the barrel, taped off the receiver and used the OxphoBlue cream. I've got about four or five coats on and it looks blotchy and uneven. I'll put a few more coats on and see if I can get it looking any better. Even though it's going to be a field rifle, I'd still like to at least get it better than it is. Any suggestions?

Old 10-09-2009, 02:53 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Well, I got the blueing pretty even. it's not perfect, but it's okay. The stock looks great. I reassembled it tonight. Tomorrow I'm going to swing by the gun shop and see if I can scrounge a screw for the scope mount. There are three screws and one was broken. Thankfully the broken part was missing rather than broken off in the receiver.

Then some blue locktite on the mount screws and then on with the scope. I'll take pictures tomorrow when it's completely reassembled.

All things being equal, the stock looks much better and will now give me proper eye relief and the scratches are gone from the barrel. So, it looks better, fits me better and I feel like I had a part in rehabbing an old warrior.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:22 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I got the correct screw for the scope mount, so....It's done! Here's some pics. The first three show the stock from both sides and a view of the right side of the pistol grip. I tried to show the palm swell, it fits really sweet. The Monte Carlo cheek pad is gone. It's not as dark as it looks, my photography skills just suck.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:26 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The stock color is much closer in these pics to what it really looks like. I couldn't get the camera to focus on the pitting on the barrel. It's still there, but isn't as bad as it was before sanding and reblueing.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:31 AM   #27

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Sweet! Nice work

Old 10-10-2009, 01:55 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thank you sir. Now I have to see how well it shoots and coincidentally this is a three day weekend.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:05 AM   #29

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

That is just plain outstanding, CA!!! I saw an Eddystone today at a yard sale...1917 on the barrel, they wanted $550 for it and it doesn't hold a candle to your rifle.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:10 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks Duner, I appreciate it.