Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > 1860 Army Blackhawk...I think!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2014, 10:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default 1860 Army Blackhawk...I think!

This may be premature. I ain't made no measurements yet. And I see that #1 Tardeddoggy has given both a healty slobber snort while I had my back turned.....but, with a bit of luck I hope to marry the Slimmer Finer 1860 Colt Army 44 brass grip to the new model Ruger Blackhawk. I think we'll be leaving the barrel around 5 to 5.5" for use as a hunter.....5 being the minimum length for handgun hunting deer and such in many states. If this 2 piece/flat spring grip is a no go then perhaps a true Birds Head grip or better, a custom birdshead shape. Grips I'm leaning towards redwood burl or bloodwood.

So, as a place holder while I sip good Bourbon and think over the road ahead.....

Finally Home, NC

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2014, 11:23 PM   #2

Born on date is......drum roll......1974. So this one is just barely a New Model.

The overall condition seems great. Plenty tight and timed well. A few freckles but the bluing is pretty darn good. Number one on the list was peeling back them dayumed ugly pachmeyers, why anybody'd put em on a single action while still sober is beyond me. But...there ain't no stupid locking mechanism under there so I'm happy!....

Finally Home, NC

Old 06-28-2014, 01:13 AM   #3

Rough measurement of the frame and grip with calipers indicates the widths and heights are close, may work. The trigger guard area is wider than the Ruger Frame too, so we should be able to fit the cheep part to the spensive part.

Eyeball wise, screw holes appear close....I'll know more when I try to fit some parts for the first time.

Looking at the two grips together.....I like the 1860 and beat up walnut lots more than the rubber Stinkmeyers.

No medallion and no grip screw....smaller and rounder too.

Here the 1860 overlaid onto the New Model Blackhawk and the Suckwilies rubber grip....

And here, the 1860 compared to a vintage and near like new in box Old Model (3 Screw, 1968) 357 Blackhawk. The 1860 grip is rounder and a scooch longer, more pinkie wrap friendly and what you can't see.....when installed it should be a bit closer to the trigger....

Finally Home, NC

Old 06-28-2014, 01:30 AM   #4

Its a forgone conclusion, if the grip fits, a Stainless Bisley hammer is gonna be needed.

Finally Home, NC

Old 06-28-2014, 01:52 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 407 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Your taking a cheap brass frame and putting it on a 357 mag revolver. After a few rounds, I wouldn't put too much stock in the veracity of that brass. It's your gun, good luck with it.

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 06-28-2014, 10:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8oldguy View Post
Your taking a cheap brass frame and putting it on a 357 mag revolver. After a few rounds, I wouldn't put too much stock in the veracity of that brass. It's your gun, good luck with it.
Spurious statement and pretty much in line with Internet Armchairmanship....too much of that negative opinion and false data all over the place. I wish folks would put hand to tool and mind to work before they type. Neophytes and Experienced folks everywhere would benefit from less confusion and more accurate information and proofs of concept.

That cheep beer can aluminum frame that ruger puts on from the factory doesn't wear out in a few rounds. Neither does the original ruger brass frames nor the aftermarked Qualite and NC Ordinance brass frames. The original Colt brass black powder frames installed on the Colt Peacemakers clean thru the 1950s were put on since even though approaching 100 years old they were holding up well enough to customize a modern peacemaker. The cheep brass frame of the original henrys didn't wear out in a few rounds. The cheep brass cartridge cases provided by ammo manufactures don't wear out in a few rounds and on and on ad infinitum.

Stand by and watch. Might learn something.

Hell, we all might learn that the frame won't fit and then together can have a great laugh but for now, lets lean forward and Approach with Confidence, a key attitude for custom smithing. Negativity ensures failure.

Finally Home, NC

Last edited by Sharps40; 06-28-2014 at 11:40 AM.
rifleman1 Likes This 
Old 06-28-2014, 02:10 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 407 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 130

You really don't have a clue. Good luck with your new gun.

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 06-28-2014, 02:41 PM   #8

Interesting assessment but again, spurious since you don't know me. I'm pretty sure I have more than a clue (and that bears out truly oftener than not, so I remain confident in the face of challenges or naysayers) and -- I never rely on luck. Skill. Thought. Confidence. Experience. But, not luck. Thank for yer good wishes though, its always nice to be wished the best.

And for all....Confidence is not Uppity, it just is.

Finally Home, NC

Last edited by Sharps40; 06-28-2014 at 03:21 PM.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:49 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1715 Times on 936 Posts
Likes Given: 545

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/380144/power-custom-colt-style-grip-frame-ruger-new-model-single-action-brass

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 06-28-2014, 11:09 PM   #10

Dayum. That's expensive! Cost near as much as the whole gun!

Finally Home, NC