10/22 Sporter Project
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > 10/22 Sporter Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2009, 01:44 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default 10/22 Sporter Project

I had an opportunity to buy a new Sporter stock. I'd been wanting to do a simple 10/22 project.

Here's a link to the stock I bought: Walnut Ruger 10/22 Deluxe Sporter Stock $75 shipped - Calguns.net

I bought the 10/22 this morning at Big 5. It has some kind of black painted finish. The clerk said they aren't selling blued anymore.

I checked under the barrel band for scratches since there won't be a barrel band on the Sporter stock. Then when I got home, I ordered a set of HiViz fiber optic sights for it. http://www.amazon.com/HiViz-Ruger-40108-Fiber-Optic/dp/B001AT03X4

I'm going to start out with fiber optics first. If I find I have to scope it, I'll do that a bit later. If I do scope it, I'll go with a Nikon Pro-Staff like on my other 10/22.

I also plan to float the barrel and that's about it.

I'll post pictures when I get all the stuff together.

Pretty simple project, but it will be fun and it will be a 10/22 my way.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 11-25-2009 at 01:47 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-28-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The stock should be here Monday or Tuesday and the HiViz sights are on the way as well.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-28-2009, 08:35 PM   #3

Planning any other customisation to the stock? I've been amazed how much difference making the stock fit you and your scope/mounts (or hi-viz sights in your case) makes.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:40 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Relieving the stock to float the barrel and installing sights are all I have in mind so far. That could change of course, but for right now that's it.

It's not much of a project, just some fun with a new rifle.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:41 PM   #5

HI CA, gotta complement you on your choice of wood, always liked the look of the Deluxe stock. I liked it so much I bought a Deluxe Ruger around 20 yrs back, wish it was still mine ----

I free floated the bbl .005", put a 3x9x40 on it, took it out to the range and everything was fine till I let the wife shoot it. All of a sudden I was the greatest husband around for buying my little woman such a neat rifle!

Well, what can you do? she still lets me shoot it now and then. I'll give her credit, she has good taste, about 5 yrs before this she latched onto my Colt Frontier Scout and can still out shoot me with it!

You are gonna have one fine look'in Ruger, Just never go shoot'in with my wife!! -- good luck with the project!! Ken

Old 11-29-2009, 11:34 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks Ken. Too bad for your loss.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:07 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The stock and HiViz fiber optic sights arrived in the mail yesterday. I ordered see through scope rings today. I've decided to go with a Nikon pro-Staff 3-9x40 scope and the fiber optics. I figure that gives me the best of both worlds.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:26 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The bits and pieces are all here. The rings arrived yesterday. My shooting buddy had a new in the box 3-9 x 40 Barska scope that he gave me for the project. So unless it's a total piece of crap, I'll use it and save some money and not buy the Nikon.

I'll have to file the front sight down a bit to get it to fit into the dovetail, but the rear HiViz sight is a bit loose. How can I make sure it stays tight. I thought about just using some Locktite, but that didn't work on my 1911. So, any suggestions?

Thanks.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:08 PM   #9

Might try the old "pock mark" trick with a center punch to make it thicker in the areas that need it?? If its not real loose, RED loctite might work on a 10/22, not near the stress it would get on a 1911. I think you might like the Barska, I use quite a few and never had even one problem yet. Good luck! Ken

Old 12-07-2009, 03:51 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Cool. Thanks for the info Ken.