Your thoughts on my Remington 700 P 300 Win Mag with a rough finished chamber?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Your thoughts on my Remington 700 P 300 Win Mag with a rough finished chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Your thoughts on my Remington 700 P 300 Win Mag with a rough finished chamber?

hello,
I just purchased a Remington 700 p 300 win mag. very disappointed in workmanship, the rifle boar was rough and filthy. After cleaning and lapping with jb polish it looked ok. I then went and fired the rifle and to my surprise the rounds would stick in the chamber, to make a long story short i polished chamber and things got better although i can see scratches ic chamber, my question is this should I try to polish them out, or leave well enough alone?

Last edited by canebrake; 12-04-2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: TTTP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Welcome to the forum Birdie, might want to head over to the introductions and tell us a little about yourself.

I'm sure somebody will come along and help you with your question. There are some brilliant guys and gals here!

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #3

well i just don't know if overpolishing would open chamber too much or get it out of round or tolerance. Also i heard chambers should not be too smooth they should be honed in crosshatch pattern too keep brass from melding forward, somthing i have heard.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:19 PM   #4

Liked 313 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 27

The throat of the new rifle barrel will have cross hatch marks left by the method used to machine the barrel. This will be common with most factory barrles and even custom barrels to one degree or another. The "Break In" methods suggested by barrel manufactures are not doing much in smoothing out the bore itself but is actually "polishing out" the throat of the barrel. As far as the chamber itself goes it can be somewhat rough as well but it shouldn't be so rough that it causes the spent brass to get stuck. I'd leave well enough alone with this issue if the rounds are not sticking in the chamber anymore.

Also check this out for barrel break in

Break-In & Cleaning

Old 12-02-2010, 11:26 PM   #5

If you polished it and it now extracts the rounds, don't go any further.
You may want to return it to Remington.

It sounds like the chamber was never properly finished or the reamer was on it's last legs and they could not get rid of the scratches left by it.

Remington has recently gone from button rifled barrels to hammer forged barrels, so you may see a slight loss of accuracy from the way they were before.

Rems are good rifles, but if I were to buy another centerfire, it would be a Savage, not only superior accuracy but easy to work on.

Also, rems you cannot take the trigger apart to work on it anymore, it's been made so it cannot be taken apart or adjust it. An aftermarket trigger is the only way to get a better trigger if yours is not to your liking.

I hate to see this happening to Remington, but they are now cutting corners to try to keep profits up.

John K

Old 12-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #6

Hey thanks guys ill take your advice and leave it. Also I do have a Jewell trigger in it. I own a savage 308 centerfeed 20" threaded bbl had to reset bbl head space was 5 thousands out but easy to fix shoots like a dream with gemtek can. Hopefully this rem will line out and I'll thread this one and get it to stretch out to 800 or Moore yards. Thanks again

Old 12-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #7

I have a Jewell trigger in my Remmy 700 and it is sweeeeet! Mine is also a 300 Win. Mag. and I use it for 1000 yard target. The 190 gr Federal gold match or 190 gr Black Hills target factory ammo works best so far for the 1000 yard stuff. The 210 gr. Berger Long Range Target bullet with Nosler brass using IMR 7828 SSC works the best for me if your reloading your own.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:03 PM   #8

yes i have tried 210 bergervld on top of 76 grains of r-25 good results but some tweeking needed only 1/2'' wit flyer at 100 yard 5 round group.I might be the flyer ha ha! I ordered 175 smk hoping they will arrive soon and i can work up load for them.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:15 PM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What does the fired brass look like after you polished the chamber? Is it extracting easily now or is there some force involved to extract it? If the brass looks ok and it's extracting ok-well done. If not I'd recommend sending it back to Remington.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 12-04-2010, 01:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie View Post
yes i have tried 210 bergervld on top of 76 grains of r-25 good results but some tweeking needed only 1/2'' wit flyer at 100 yard 5 round group.I might be the flyer ha ha! I ordered 175 smk hoping they will arrive soon and i can work up load for them.
Try the Berger part # 30419 210 grain bullets. G-7 B.C. on these is .320. I had pretty shatty luck with the VLD's. Also, for whatever reason, bullet run out can be not so good with these bullets. So check the bullet Run-Out of your loads. These Bergers can be finicky. I usually load 60 or so at a time and then cull the ones out with more than .003" run out, unload and reload the culled ones, measure again and continue to cull and load new until get 100 or so for a practice session or match.

Last edited by mrm14; 12-04-2010 at 02:00 AM.