Yes, I am now one of "Those"....... - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Yes, I am now one of "Those".......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2011, 08:06 PM   #21
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7198 Times on 4330 Posts
Likes Given: 8774

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman1 View Post
go online and look up schematics for the gun that always helps me,currently i have the nra guide to firearms assembly its a little outdated but its helped me on a few of my guns and several friends guns.the parts appear to be the detent ball,the main spring plunger and possibly the bolt stop pivot pin but my resolution on my computer is not very good.
Okay, here's another embarrassing thing I discovered when I was putting my gun and it's parts into Ziploc bags. That straight pin was part of the grips where they hook together at the bottom. So, really, only two of those parts are from my gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
I can guarantee that you would NOT be the first person to walk into a gunsmith with a "gun-in-a-bag".
Yeah, I know. I've heard stories. But that doesn't make it any easier.

I think after I 'get over it' and I'm not tired, like I was last night, I'll view more YouTube videos and Google around a bit and try again. I tackled the project late because I thought it would go smoothly (who am I trying to kid) and I could proudly post before and after pictures of my gun with it's very, VERY awesome grips.

I'm off Tuesday so I'll try again then. I am NOT walking into a gun shop with my gun in a Ziploc bag. I'm bringing it to JonM, if I don't get it done myself before then.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:25 PM   #22
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

Go here and look around, I think with this will help you put it back together on your own and then you will know.
This will help.

You can do it...we can help.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:38 PM   #23
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

Old 07-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #24
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6572 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Welcome to the club. I've done that a few times when working on my old sxs and now I've pretty much learned where everything goes. Hope you get it back together soon.

Happy shooting

Old 07-30-2011, 09:02 PM   #25

Liked 713 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I've fallen into the same issue a time or two several years go when I would buy jacked up guns from friends for cheap.

Book mark this link Schematics Home - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

They tend to have most of what you will need in looking up schematics on guns. If you can find it there, you can find something damn close to get you rolling in the right direction. Worst case, google the $hit out of it.

Liked the post about not learning if you don't jump in and try it. You'll figure it out on your own in time and be better off for it.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 07-30-2011, 11:20 PM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5747 Times on 3002 Posts
Likes Given: 380

i usually clean guns at nite when im tired wife and i watching something mindless like family guy and a very small part goes winging across the room. she usually gets a good yuck or three while i prowl about the floor with a flashlight closely supervised by her cat.

it happens. it sucks but it happens.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-31-2011, 03:31 AM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i usually clean guns at nite when im tired wife and i watching something mindless like family guy and a very small part goes winging across the room. she usually gets a good yuck or three while i prowl about the floor with a flashlight closely supervised by her cat.

it happens. it sucks but it happens.
Yeah, I can't tell you how many times I picked pieces up off the floor last night. And worse yet, the first YouTube I looked up for help was a Mark III. I didn't realize it at first. Well, the part I can't get to fit in has a little spring/wire on it on the Mark III but not on the Mark II. I thought I lost that piece and spent a good 20 minutes looking for a part I never really lost. I'm telling you. I am an accident waiting to happen.

And see in my signature line where it says "Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks? I'm not kidding. That is how I learn, unfortunately. I use that signature on every forum I've ever registered for. It's just..............me!!

I am going to try it again Tuesday when I'm off work and well rested. You guys have sent me some good suggestions and I hope to be able to be successful with this new info.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 07-31-2011 at 03:40 AM.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:13 AM   #28
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
Go here and look around, I think with this will help you put it back together on your own and then you will know.
This will help.

You can do it...we can help.
Thank you, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! I think this may be the key to any success. This was much clearer to me than the blow up schematics, though I will utilize both.

Except now I discovered that the two very small parts I have had springs on them......which I do not have. Now back to searching the floor for two very small springs. *sigh* If I don't find them I wonder if Ruger will send me some.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 07-31-2011 at 09:11 AM.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:52 PM   #29
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5747 Times on 3002 Posts
Likes Given: 380

A good way to find lost tiny parts is put panty hose over the end of a vqcuum cleaner hose and get after it

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-01-2011, 12:27 AM   #30

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
A good way to find lost tiny parts is put panty hose over the end of a vqcuum cleaner hose and get after it
Why...does that put you in a better mood to look for the part?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington