Yes, I am now one of "Those".......
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Yes, I am now one of "Those".......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #1
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7815 Times on 4690 Posts
Likes Given: 9842

Default Yes, I am now one of "Those".......

As many of you know, I just bought a Ruger Mark II from JonM here on this forum. I was excited beyond belief. A couple weeks after buying it I drove up to Wisconsin to go shooting with Jon. I put about 400 rounds through it and was madly in love with this new gun. I wanted to 'dress it up' a little. I bought a scope and some BEAUTIFUL Volquartsen grips for it. I knew I couldn't sight the scope until I went the range but I wanted to put the new grips on and post a 'before' and 'after' picture here. I also wanted to be able to post in the "Nice Grips" thread. Jon showed me how to take the gun apart for cleaning and I felt confident in doing that. So, the new grips are thick and they came with a larger thumb piece for holding the bolt open. So, I figure I can do this. (I work with some complex instruments at work and I maintain them, replace parts and fix them almost on a daily basis.) You know where this is going, don't you? So, I take down the gun as Jon showed me without a problem. Then I remove the peg that holds the thumb piece and some internals that have to do with the mag. Pieces fall out. Teeny, tiny pieces.........and I don't know where they came from. I worked on this for nearly three hours last night until I finally gave up in utter frustration around 0230. I PM StakingBear, who is my mentor, supporter, teacher and he sends me a calming PM back telling me it's okay, it can be put back together. But I don't see StalkingBear until the end of September. So, I PM Jon who says he can put it back together. I could drive up to Wisconsin most any weekend.

I am very disappointed in myself. Mostly disappointed that I tried to do this myself. I was SO EXCITED to get these new grips, though.

So, let me now post the before and after pictures I wanted to post. Except the before picture is the same but the after picture is NOT going to be showing off some beautiful, new grips.
The parts I can't figure out where they came from.

My beautiful gun before I messed with it.

My gun now.

And, yes, I'm a 'girl'. I cried.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-30-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 469 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Old 07-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Relax. It's happened to most of us.
You still have the same beautiful gun....its just scattered about a bit. Take it up to Jons or if you are in a bigger hurry take it to a local smith and be sure to tell them the old standby story, "my friend did this"
Good excuse to have them mount the scope while you are there

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 07-30-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Relax. It's happened to most of us.
You still have the same beautiful gun....its just scattered about a bit. Take it up to Jons or if you are in a bigger hurry take it to a local smith and be sure to tell them the old standby story, "my friend did this"
Good excuse to have them mount the scope while you are there
What Gate said.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-30-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

WHAT?!? Have them mount the scope? Aw, heck, I could mount the scope.

Actually, as I was working on the gun last night I was eyeballing that scope mounting rail thinking "I could do this". Eyeing the rings, eyeing the rail, looking at the scope...........

I think I'll do it, but under someone's supervision. If I don't do it, then how do I learn?

Old 07-30-2011, 04:46 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Good for you Winds, go for it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-30-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Good for you Winds, go for it.
Go for what? Taking my gun apart and not being able to get it back together? I've already went for it. Actually, I am quite discouraged but I'll get over it.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:50 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

oh jeez

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 07-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
Unsee it? I wish I could undo it. WAIT............I already have.......

Old 07-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #10

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

WOC...there is no failure in learning and experimenting. Just think, when this is all fixed you will never forget what those pieces are and how they get put back together.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington