working my way up. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > working my way up.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter1997 View Post
So what your saying is if I have a Remington 870 and I want to buy a gouge tammer postal grip for 20$ I need a 200$ tax stamp?
*Houge tamer pistol grip

Old 04-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #12
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3100 Times on 1781 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Hint, if you have a firearm for more than 24 hours, it should accounted for in books.

If you are making money (even as a hobby), you are engaged in business and require a tax id and FFL.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

People Like This 
Old 04-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post

Franklin armory sells an AR-15 with an 11.5" barrel and vertical foregrip. They claim it is not a pistol, rifle, or AOW. If they can do it, you can do it.
http://www.franklinarmory.com/PRODUCTS_XO-26.html
That sir is a pistol there is no stock, and if it had a stock then it would be a sbr and would need the tax stamp.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
So what your saying is if I have a Remington 870 and I want to buy a gouge tammer postal grip for 20$ I need a 200$ tax stamp?
Shotguns require a 18" barrel plus over length of 26" if you get the houge tamer pistol grip and the over all length is grater then 26" you are legal. You should be ok with the 18" barrel.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 706

it looks great... however i am not sure what it woukld be considered legally. IHMO, you should be careful and research your local state, and federal laws

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Someone ask a lawyer. I would, but do not live in the states. Never seen a gun like that though. Interesting.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:55 PM   #17

Liked 2395 Times on 1401 Posts
Likes Given: 538

Quote:
No, shotguns fall under different rules than firearms with rifled barrels.

If you don't know the ATF rules, and don't have a gunsmithing liscense, you really need to be cautious about what you create.

A Handgun with a forward pistol grip and no stock is classified as an AOW (Any other Weapon). It requires ATF application, and registration and a tax stamp ($25 for AOW if I remember correctly).

A shotgun with a pistol grip needs to meet overall length requirements to be classified as a shotgun still, otherewise it would be a short barreled shotgun (SBS) which requires ATF application, $200 tax stamp, etc.

to further complicate things, each state could be different in what they allow with regard to ownership of SBS, SBR, AOW, full auto and supressed class firearms.

I would undo what you did to the firearm, and remove pictures. If you charged any money, give it back, because the government wants tax money for FFL related work for a profit.

This is not meant to be means spirited, but to protect you and others from future trouble.

If you like doing this kind of work, get in touch with the BATFE and see what it takes to get a liscense and keep things above board.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:40 AM   #18
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7774 Times on 4216 Posts
Likes Given: 16440

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrbertothy

That sir is a pistol there is no stock, and if it had a stock then it would be a sbr and would need the tax stamp.
I would call it a pistol as well. But a vertical foregrip on a pistol creates a AOW. I was just surprised the BATFE ruled that this particular firearm was not considered an AOW. That ruling set a precedence.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 04-02-2013, 01:54 AM   #19
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

but we have to look at what he started with and then ended up with. with a buttstock on the Circuit Judge and a 18.5" barrel that is most likely rifled. now the Judge pistol gets around the legalities by rifling the barrel and classifing it as a postol rather than a shotgun. the Judge with such a short barrel, if it wasn't rifled it would be classified as a SBS. this is from Rossi's website as to the classification of the Circuit Judge.

WARNING
1. The Rossi .45/.410 Circuit Judge is sold in North America only as a rifle.
2. No smooth bore versions of the Rossi .45/.410 Circuit Judge are imported or sold in North America.
3. Conversion of the Rossi .45/.410 Circuit Judge Rifle to a Smooth Bore Shotgun is impossible because there are
no parts available in the United States.
4. Due to the complexity of the firearm any conversion from its original configuration would have to be under the
supervision of a highly competent gunsmith.
5. Any changes made to any Rossi Firearm by anyone other than BrazTech LC, voids the warranty, and may prove
to be dangerous including serious injury or death.
6. Please note that the Rossi 28 Gauge Shotgun is sold as a smooth bore shotgun only. It may be illegal to sell in
various states or jurisdictions since it is a revolving cylinder shotgun – and is not rifled as is the Rossi .45/.410
Rifle.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:09 AM   #20
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3100 Times on 1781 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Sharpshooter - this is known as a case of "Just because you can, maybe you shouldn't."

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

axxe55 Likes This