A Word of Warning - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > A Word of Warning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1177 Times on 790 Posts
Likes Given: 777

I'd be interested to know what the "warning signs" were.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #22

Liked 2208 Times on 1517 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Any gunsmith that does enough work to make a living has to have an FFL for convenience. No man is an expert at everything. He has to mail guns and parts to get certain services done. Either he has to pay through the nose to use Fedex, UPS or get an FFL to use the postal service. I don't look for gunsmiths that started as a machinist. I look for gunsmiths that started as a tool and die maker. Usually if a gunsmith started as a tool and die maker they are used to doing precision work and they have enough financial resources to start a well equipped shop.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:33 AM   #23

Location: In a little town on the east coast of Florida across the river from the VAB.
Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
I'd be interested to know what the "warning signs" were.
See the edit to my post.

John

Old 02-07-2014, 01:03 AM   #24

Liked 1177 Times on 790 Posts
Likes Given: 777

Interesting. Now, I wonder; this guy's buddy, is he not concerned about lending his FFL to this dipsh!t? That cannot be earning him a good reputation, being complacent to this guy screwing up guns…..

Old 02-07-2014, 01:42 AM   #25

Location: In a little town on the east coast of Florida across the river from the VAB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Any gunsmith that does enough work to make a living has to have an FFL for convenience. No man is an expert at everything. He has to mail guns and parts to get certain services done. Either he has to pay through the nose to use Fedex, UPS or get an FFL to use the postal service. I don't look for gunsmiths that started as a machinist. I look for gunsmiths that started as a tool and die maker. Usually if a gunsmith started as a tool and die maker they are used to doing precision work and they have enough financial resources to start a well equipped shop.
I once knew several Toll And Die makers (Masters), and most of them did work on their own firearms. And they did not have CNC machines at home, just old manual mills!

John

Old 02-07-2014, 01:45 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Interesting. Now, I wonder; this guy's buddy, is he not concerned about lending his FFL to this dipsh!t? That cannot be earning him a good reputation, being complacent to this guy screwing up guns…..
According to his "friends" and "followers" I am only 1 of 2 people who are dissatisfied with his work! Who knows how many more there may be. But the real Master Gunsmiths I ran into had heard about this guy. Just what they thought a bout him I did not ask.

John

Old 02-07-2014, 04:36 AM   #27
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22027 Times on 12418 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

in seeking out a gunsmith, a real and true compentent gunsmith, you have to check out their past work and references. any real gunsmith isn't afraid to give references or afraid to show you his work to gain your trust. i think the older more experianced gunsmiths are going by the wayside myself and fewer and farther in between now. most people are just not willing to put the effort and commitment into being a true gunsmith. it takes many years to learn the craft of building guns and gun parts by hand. most anyone with some technical skill can change out a broken or worn part, but those who can make a part from scratch are not as common anymore.

we all live and learn from our mistakes. many of us who are into guns anymore than just casually, have or are learning to do the work ourselves. i figure i can screw up my guns just as well as any shade tree gunsmith can! finding a gunsmith that meets your requirements may mean making a longer drive to get work done.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:48 AM   #28

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I always considered letting a small engine repair man work on an Original Walker Colt a real big error. Of course I never owned an original Walker. But I have made some real mistakes in using the wrong gun repair services. Now after a number of years I have earned enough credits in Screw-ups to graduate. The School Of Hard Knocks that is.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:53 PM   #29

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yes, I have turned down work that I thought I was not going to perform 110% better than expected. A gunsmith should only work on something that they feel very confident that the firearm or part meets or exceeds the safety standard and the wishes of the owner.

I would probably take trade for work, but I would prefer money as later on if there was an issue and I was going to give a refund, it would be easier to handle cash as the client may want back what you have traded or sold out.

As the the license. The ATF has stated that gunsmithing does meet the requirements as a dealer. You can research it for yourself below. If you are in the buisness of gunsmithing, I would be pro-FFL, as most of the time you get discounts on parts you may need. The discounts can add up to the cost of the FFL in a very short time depending on the amount of business you do, so it is somewhat cost effective.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/gunsmiths.html

Last edited by SGTRud; 02-11-2014 at 04:54 PM. Reason: forgot the hyperlink
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-12-2014, 11:46 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
I always considered letting a small engine repair man work on an Original Walker Colt a real big error. Of course I never owned an original Walker. But I have made some real mistakes in using the wrong gun repair services. Now after a number of years I have earned enough credits in Screw-ups to graduate. The School Of Hard Knocks that is.
And I hope that I have graduated with you!

John