A Word of Warning
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > A Word of Warning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 12:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: In a little town on the east coast of Florida across the river from the VAB.
Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default A Word of Warning

Don't know if this is the right forum for this or not, but here goes...

First let me say that I am not a pushy kind of guy. I tend to trust people on sight until they prove to me that I shouldn't trust them. This means that I often get taken for a ride. I learn from those mistakes but I still tend to take people as basically honest. So last year when I needed a gunsmith I ask around and took the advice of strangers and went to them one man they all suggested. Even though there were warning signs that I should have headed I let this man work on my guns. Big, big mistake! The man is a hack! Bottom line is I lost a WW II Walther made P-38 that I traded for some work, most of which was never done and what was done was mostly incorrect, on my 2 Kimber Pro Carry .45's.

Later, after getting kicked out of the man's shop because I wanted value for my trade, I discovered a pair of certified Master Gunsmiths who knew of this man and that he was not a gunsmith but a simple machinist who worked on guns for a hobby before deciding on doing it for a living! Had I only known I could have saved myself a lot of heartache and frustration! All the work the machinist did, aside from a few minor details, I actually had to redo myself! And I'm not even a machinist!

Bottom line is, make sure that you check out anyone that you are thinking of having do work on your guns! Make sure that they are qualified gunsmiths and not some armature who thinks they know what they are doing! At the very least it will save you some heartache. At most it could save you from having to have your guns rebuilt, or worse, scraped!

John

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2014, 03:15 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3113 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1325

I have more respect for a guy who turns down a job, than one who say he can do it and doesn't.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

People Like This 
Old 01-29-2014, 04:16 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

well wait now you traded the p-38 for work to be done and it was never finished properly? id say get a lawyer might just be able to get the p-38 back and maybe some on the side so you can get the kimbers done right

please tell me you took pictures of the poor work before you fixed things

Old 01-29-2014, 04:20 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 783 Times on 521 Posts
Likes Given: 49

**** call the ATF on him if he is not a gunsmith and taking payment for gunsmithing services without an ffl

Old 01-29-2014, 05:26 PM   #5

Liked 438 Times on 253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancslaughter View Post
**** call the ATF on him if he is not a gunsmith and taking payment for gunsmithing services without an ffl
What he said......

Sent from my HTC One X using Firearms Talk mobile app
Old 01-29-2014, 06:00 PM   #6

Liked 838 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 1735

Quote:
TOTALLY agree!! people like this must be stopped before they do more damage to others. Also look into opening a complaint with the Better Business Bureau !!
Old 01-29-2014, 07:44 PM   #7

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Can you show us the Federal statute that says one must have an FFL to work on firearms other than NFA weapons?

"Hello, ATF?, yes, I made a bad decision and gave my guns to a guy who said he was a gunsmith. He jacked up the work, and, since he doesn't hold an FFL could you please place him under arrest and initiate a federal indictment ?

Thanks"

Are you serious?

Last edited by crockett007; 01-29-2014 at 07:48 PM.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:50 PM   #8

Liked 1127 Times on 748 Posts
Likes Given: 740

And, could I, with no gunsmith training, get an FFL to be a gunsmith? Or do they require gunsmith training? OP, so let me get this straight…you took a bunch of guns to this guy you'd never death with, and let him screw everything up at once? I'da taken the gun I least cared about, and asked for one small thing at a time done…..

Old 01-29-2014, 07:54 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I agree with the better business bureau approach, as I am not sure of what it takes to be able to call yourself a gunsmith for hire.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:04 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 783 Times on 521 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett007 View Post
Can you show us the Federal statute that says one must have an FFL to work on firearms other than NFA weapons?

"Hello, ATF?, yes, I made a bad decision and gave my guns to a guy who said he was a gunsmith. He jacked up the work, and, since he doesn't hold an FFL could you please place him under arrest and initiate a federal indictment ?

Thanks"

Are you serious?

You need an ffl to be a gunsmith look it up yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

texaswoodworker Likes This