winnie Model 94 angle eject - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum >

winnie Model 94 angle eject

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 07:56 PM   #11
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4240 Times on 2385 Posts
Likes Given: 2006

Go to the nearest self help store.
Look at the clips used to put plywood at roof decking.
They kinda look like something out of starwars if viewed from the end.
I think they are called "H" clips. Remove one side of the "H".
http://www.peakproducts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=96

Then stick it in place with J-B Weld.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-18-2014, 08:27 PM   #12

Liked 267 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Go to the nearest self help store.
Look at the clips used to put plywood at roof decking.
They kinda look like something out of starwars if viewed from the end.
I think they are called "H" clips. Remove one side of the "H".
http://www.peakproducts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=96

Then stick it in place with J-B Weld.
I got it as good as its gonna get . I hammered the sight back out with a 5 lb blacksmith hammer and ground a 1/16 of an inch of alluminum off the bottom and hammered it back in .

The sight is thrashed and chopped looking , the tips of the dove tail wings that go over the tapered part of the sight are a bit peeled back now. It does not look near as nice as it used to .

I'll never buiy any williams anything ever again. But it's as good as it ever will be .

Thanks for the tip . If its too loose down the road ill loctite blue the sight in .

Old 03-26-2014, 04:49 PM   #13

Liked 155 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 6

One typically works on the inexpensive component. Most sights, aftermarket (Lyman and Marbles included) are manufactured a bit big to allow for oversize/damaged dovetails. Fit the sight to the dovetail with a safe sided file or if you prefer, work on the expensive part, the dovetail with the safe sided files to clean it up.

Sights must never be pounded in. Proper fit, is a thumb push fit from 1/4 To 1/3 of the total witdth of the dovetail. From there they should tap in snugly with a brass rod without deformation of either the sight or the dovetail. If not, the fit of the sight to the dovetail is incorrect.

Marbles sights come with a slight tapered lead in and are pressed home from the right side of the gun (looking from the butt end) to left. Lyman and Williams sights do not have the tapered lead and may be a bit more difficult to start. It helps with these to file in the lead and touch up with cold blue or aluminum black depending on the makers choice of metal for the sight.

Last edited by Sharps40; 03-26-2014 at 04:55 PM.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharps40 View Post
One typically works on the inexpensive component. Most sights, aftermarket (Lyman and Marbles included) are manufactured a bit big to allow for oversize/damaged dovetails. Fit the sight to the dovetail with a safe sided file or if you prefer, work on the expensive part, the dovetail with the safe sided files to clean it up.

Sights must never be pounded in. Proper fit, is a thumb push fit from 1/4 To 1/3 of the total witdth of the dovetail. From there they should tap in snugly with a brass rod without deformation of either the sight or the dovetail. If not, the fit of the sight to the dovetail is incorrect.

Marbles sights come with a slight tapered lead in and are pressed home from the right side of the gun (looking from the butt end) to left. Lyman and Williams sights do not have the tapered lead and may be a bit more difficult to start. It helps with these to file in the lead and touch up with cold blue or aluminum black depending on the makers choice of metal for the sight.
Well I had to take a whole lotta metal off the bottom to get it to fit and the metal stock itself was too wide and curled back the dovetail wings a bit . which has nothing to do with damaged dovetails .

Old 03-26-2014, 09:47 PM   #15

Sounds like ya know whats best. I'll leave be and leave ya to it.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharps40 View Post
Sounds like ya know whats best. I'll leave be and leave ya to it.
I don't know what's " best " but to me sendng a part will damage your gun to make sure it fits other damaged guns doesn't seem like the way things should be . But that's me.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:41 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

sounds to me like you didn't measure at all and bashed it with a hammer to make it fit... perhaps the error belongs to the installer?

and many/most gun parts are slightly oversize so they can be cut/ground/trimmed to a custom perfect fit.....

Old 03-29-2014, 05:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nulreference View Post
sounds to me like you didn't measure at all and bashed it with a hammer to make it fit... perhaps the error belongs to the installer?

and many/most gun parts are slightly oversize so they can be cut/ground/trimmed to a custom perfect fit.....
Isn't that what I payed the manufacturer for ? How am I supposed to machine 1/32 off each side of a 1/4 of an inch surface thats a half an inch wide with any degree of consistency ? With a dremel? Do I need a machine shop to purchase these parts?

Once again I'm not a machinist . I can see a bit of fitting but when the metal stock itself is too wide I don't think that is acceptable. But thats me .

Old 03-29-2014, 07:37 AM   #19
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4240 Times on 2385 Posts
Likes Given: 2006

Dern, now that you got a front sight on it, I have to raise my offer to $35. j/k

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
Gh0zt36 Likes This 
Old 03-29-2014, 11:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nulreference View Post

Best to leave go and leave be I think. Sometimes it takes a few skinned knees to get up an running.