Winchester Model 97 forend cap nut....?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum >

Winchester Model 97 forend cap nut....?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 03:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Winchester Model 97 forend cap nut....?

Hi all, I've got a problem getting the forend cap nut off on this shotgun. I'm trying to get the wood off, so I can refinish it. So far no go, and can't see any way to take it off without screwing up the wood or metal. There's gotta be a way but I'm just not seeing it. I've got the whole gun stripped except for this part, reblueing it too. It's the takedown model without the screws in the wood on the pump. Help, anyone , I've asked just about everyone now . Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks all, this is a great old shotgun, goin on 107 years old now and still works great. dano599

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-02-2011, 04:59 AM   #2

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

[QUOTE=dano599;413215]Hi all, I've got a problem getting the forend cap nut off on this shotgun. I'm trying to get the wood off, so I can refinish it. So far no go, and can't see any way to take it off without screwing up the wood or metal. There's gotta be a way but I'm just not seeing it. I've got the whole gun stripped except for this part, reblueing it too. It's the takedown model without the screws in the wood on the pump. Help, anyone , I've asked just about everyone now . Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks all, this is a great old shotgun, goin on 107 years old now and still works great. dano599[/QUOTE

It screws off.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:14 AM   #3

Hey , thanks Hawg, yeah I'v since found this out. You need a wrench to unscrew it off. The forend cap has two little slots one on either side, and I mean little. This could get good yet, lol. dano599

Old 01-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #4

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Maybe I never needed one on my 97 or model 12.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #5

Liked 167 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 54

You'll need to order a forend wrench from Brownells or Midway. It is also possible to make your own.

TOM MENCK : MARK III FOREND WRENCH - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

BROWNELLS : WINCHESTER MODEL 12/1897 FOREND WRENCH - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

Old 01-03-2011, 04:34 AM   #6

Hey all, I finally got it off, I put some penetrating oil on it and let her set for a few hours, and got to thinking what Hawg said about not needing a wrench , so I put a small punch in one of the slots . She came right off. Thanks guys for all the input, you all been very helpful.