Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Winchester Model 97 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/winchester-model-97-a-88866/)

YoungSmith94 04-15-2013 05:42 PM

Winchester Model 97

My father just bought a customized 97. It has an aftermarket barrel with a vent rib. When we went to test fire it the shells would hang in the chamber. When we did finally get the shell out the case was swelled around the top of the brass. Is the bore shot out or is it head spaced wrong?

danf_fl 04-15-2013 06:44 PM

The supplied pics really don't help much.

Can you repost them please?

HOSSFLY 04-16-2013 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1214817)
The supplied pics really don't help much.

Can you repost them please?

Gud one :D
Vent rib on a '97 -- like to see that anyways ;)

gunsmoke11 04-16-2013 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YoungSmith94 (Post 1214768)
My father just bought a customized 97. It has an aftermarket barrel with a vent rib. When we went to test fire it the shells would hang in the chamber. When we did finally get the shell out the case was swelled around the top of the brass. Is the bore shot out or is it head spaced wrong?

Many times when guns are pieced together you run into all kinds of problems. As an example a friend of mine some years ago purchased a Winchester model 62 .22 pump. Actually the front was a model 62, but the rear was a 1890. At times it seemed like it went off by remote control. It was pretty, but dangerous little .22 to handle. Supposedly it was fixed, but he never touches it. As far as your father's '97 goes, I've never seen one like it and wouldn't be comfortable with it. I'd like to see a photo and hope you can fix the problem.

paulj84003 04-16-2013 04:48 PM

97 win

2nd try to post this info. The M97 as the M12 Win shotgun, requires the fitting of a new heading ring ( barrel chambering ring) when replacing the barrel. If this procedure is not done, one of the problems can be extraction. The heading ring must be reamed in place throught the barrel. I doubt if there are many gunshops today that have the proper equipment to do this. The inside of the heading ring could be smaller in diameter than the chamber. making it very difficult to extract a fired shell. Open the breach of the shotgun and stick your finger into the chamber, see if you can feel a ridge or diffrence between the heading ring and the chamber. This maybe your problem. For some reason I am not able to view the photo that was submitted. PaulJ

HOSSFLY 04-16-2013 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulj84003 (Post 1215790)
2nd try to post this info. The M97 as the M12 Win shotgun, requires the fitting of a new heading ring ( barrel chambering ring) when replacing the barrel. If this procedure is not done, one of the problems can be extraction. The heading ring must be reamed in place throught the barrel. I doubt if there are many gunshops today that have the proper equipment to do this. The inside of the heading ring could be smaller in diameter than the chamber. making it very difficult to extract a fired shell. Open the breach of the shotgun and stick your finger into the chamber, see if you can feel a ridge or diffrence between the heading ring and the chamber. This maybe your problem. For some reason I am not able to view the photo that was submitted. PaulJ

Don't feel bad :o

YoungSmith94 04-17-2013 01:02 PM

There is a ring around the inside of the chamber.

danf_fl 04-17-2013 01:57 PM

YoungSmith94 - Welcome to the FTF. We have an area named "Introductions". Please stop by and say "Hi" (The responses you get will be very informative to you about us.)

Throughout this thread, there have been requests for pictures to help us help you.

It is not that we are voyeurs (well some are), but to get a better idea of your problem.
We have a lot of good expertise here, and are willing to share. But we need some help from you, too.

nitestalker 04-17-2013 02:07 PM

The older Mdl. 97s were chambered for the 2 5/8s paper roll crimp shell. The newer 12 Ga. shells are plastic 2 3/4" star crimp. The plastic star crimp will fire in the 2 5/8s chamber.
Problem is it is 1/8" too long in the 2 5/8s chamber after firing. The long star crimp is jammed in the chamber at firing. This causes an extreme and dangerous rise in chamber pressures. Many of these old guns are found with cracked receivers from this abuse. These guns need to have the chambers reamed to accommodate the longer 2 3/4" star crimp plastic shells.:)

YoungSmith94 04-17-2013 06:31 PM

The barrel isn't old enough to have the longer chamber in it. It is a newer action and it has the thicker wood