winchester model 37A

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > winchester model 37A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 04:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default winchester model 37A

I need to change the srping mech in this extractor it won't eject the shells every time, some low brass it will but high brass it wont at all I have to use a push rod from my muzzleloader. I couldn't find anything really on it, I need help with this one.

101_4478.jpg   101_4480.jpg   101_4481.jpg  

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-11-2011, 05:14 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Is that a pin that I see there? If so, you should be able to push it out and the spring and ejector should come out. Cover the ejector so parts don't go a flyin'.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-11-2011, 05:20 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Here's a schematic for a Winchester Model 37 from Numrich. It shows an extractor spring, but it's sold out.

Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-11-2011, 06:06 AM   #4

Liked 763 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 239

its the pin that is slightly recessed in the picture that holds the extractor/ejector in place. Is the chamber in the barrel nice and smooth when you run your finger around it? Maybe you just need to really clean the chamber. It should be smooth and shiny just like the bore. Remove the ejector and spring(careful it is under tension) and clean that area. try the ejector without the spring and make sure it moves freely with no binding.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:20 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

thanks guys I have pretty much no clue the only shotgun I've owned was an 870 and I never had to take apart and extractor before this.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 08-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

This is pretty simple, just don't let that spring sproing away from you.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:11 AM   #7

Default Mod 37A

for the part try Jack First 1-605-343-9544 as to the removal these guys are right on. be sure to tell them what gauge it is as some of the winny parts are gauge specific on the 37-A

Small Arms Restoration, Inc

Old 08-20-2011, 06:25 AM   #8

I have seen a couple of versions of the 37 As two,the Redletter and the Steel built are about the same, The newest version of the 37 must be post 64 with a rolled scrolled design on the side and looks quite a bit on the cheap side like their semi auto 22 Model 190s during that time. I have a couple of Steel built 37As made in the late 50s. One in 20 Guage and the other 12ga. The extractors are so sturdy, I can't picture anything that could go wrong. Both of mine had good care, and are like new. I could see a dirty or rusted chamber causing the fired shell to stick and maybe the extractor pull off the rim of the shell casing, or a dirty extractor not releasing the snap to pop the shell casing. However the fact the high brass is worst, leads me to think back to chamber vs extraction. Difficult to tell without an examination. Good sturdy little guns for the most part