Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   winchester model 255? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/winchester-model-255-a-105148/)

browning87 03-16-2014 06:36 PM

winchester model 255?

My buddy asked me to try and fix his 22 mag. Started looking into it, put 5 bullets in the mag tube and ran the lever and it loaded and ejected 4 but once it gets to the fifth bullet it wont advance the bullet into the barrel. So you have to get something small and lift the bullet up a little then it will advance. Any thoughts on what it may be? any help would be appreciated

Sniper03 03-16-2014 09:23 PM

browning

If you have not done so, stop by and give us an introduction my friend!
In regard to the Winchester Model 255 issue. Have you tried another type ammunition. It is my belief that the problem is a Magazine Tube issue. Over the years the spring may have lost some tension due to being loaded with a full tube for years. Or it could simply be dirty and need completely cleaned and the spring lightly oiled. Sometimes going to a plated bullet vs. a lead nosed bullet will help solve the above problem. Since it feeds everything but the last round no doubt the issue is in the magazine tube issue. SO take it completely apart clean it as previously mentioned and try that then the ammo type. There is a small pin that holds it together. Magazine parts for these rifles are very hard to come by regarding the Spring and Follower since they began production in 1964. However new tubes are available through Numrich Arms and others. A complete cleaning and lubing of the Tube and Spring may very well solve this problem. But it is not the gun's action causing the issue. Keep us informed on the progress!

robocop10mm 03-16-2014 09:34 PM

The #1 problem with most malfunctioning guns and nearly all rimfire guns is dirt. A good cleaning fixes most. Clean the action and the magazine tube.

Txhillbilly 03-17-2014 12:17 AM

The 255 as with most other tube fed rimfires all suffer this problem. Like Sniper and Robo said,start by cleaning the internal's of the tube magazine.
Replacement springs can be hard to find,but you can find one's that will work if you search some spring mfg's.

My old 255 had the same problem,and I just found a new spring that would work from a local spring company.

browning87 03-17-2014 04:11 AM

you're gonna have to bear with me. i'm not completely fluent with all the gun parts. but the bullet does get pushed back to where it needs to be, its just when i pull back on the lever the bullet hangs up on the angled part where it'll slide up into the chamber. so i have to lift the bullet slightly and it'll advance. do you guys still think its the tube?

Axxe55 03-17-2014 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by browning87 (Post 1531915)
you're gonna have to bear with me. i'm not completely fluent with all the gun parts. but the bullet does get pushed back to where it needs to be, its just when i pull back on the lever the bullet hangs up on the angled part where it'll slide up into the chamber. so i have to lift the bullet slightly and it'll advance. do you guys still think its the tube?

Welcome to the forum! stop over in the Introductions Section and say hello to everyone.

not being as familiar with that rifle as i should be, here goes nothing. a good cleaning as suggested would be the first order of business. with many rimfires, this eliminates a lot of prolems. i too think a spring may be the issue, since you said it would feed four of the five rounds with no problem and having the problem with the fifth one. either there is some dirt or crud keeping it from feeding properly when it gets to the last round or the spring is weak at extension when at the last round. with the other rounds, it is compressed enough to still have enough tension to feed the first four rounds.

this is the best i can offer at this time.

again, Welcome to FTF!

browning87 03-17-2014 03:35 PM

Is there any special way to get the pin out of the mag tube? i've pounded on that thing pretty hard and it doesn't budge.