Winchester Barrel markings needed
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Winchester Barrel markings needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Winchester Barrel markings needed

I have a pre 64 Winchester 1894 carbine that some idiot polished off all the markings on the barrel and off the tang on the receiver, luckily he had sense enough not to polish off the SN. I need to know where I can get the roll marks put back on. I contacted Turnbull and they only do pre war roll marks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #2

Liked 357 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Not being a smart *** here, but I would suggest (you asked...) you just leave it alone. Enough damage has already been done, and trying to add new markings will only serve to degrade the value of the gun that much more.

Having said that, It's your gun and you can do whatever you want with it. Nobody else is going to care - unless they are a prospective buyer....

Old 01-19-2010, 07:01 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You're going to have to stamp the numbers/letters individually on there. Naturally it might not match up with the exact style of font that Winchester used unless you have the stamps custom made-a lot more expense than it would be worth.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 01-19-2010, 08:36 PM   #4

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 25

If you are looking to do a restoration, I would be looking for an original barrel replacement. If not, just use it as a shooter. The collector value at this point is nill.........

Jim............

Old 01-21-2010, 04:23 PM   #5

Default Barrel and receiver

Thanks for all who responded. I got the rifle real cheap and it looks so good, that I hate to see it without markings, it is just a dandy deer rifle. I do a lot of trading so although I have not tried to sell or trade it yet, I imagine it would be difficult. Turnbull has said that he would do the markings for $200 but at that price it would be cheaper to have it rebarreled. They have said they could not do the receiver if it was made after 1,500,000 as is mystery metal that they cannot reblue after the markings are applied. I think that they are off about 1,000,000. This rifle was made in 1959. I looked at a couple of pre-64 1894 models for sale on gunbroker, and 2 of those did not have any tang markings either, was this normal on some of the production?

Thanks

sfguy