Winchester 24...both barrels firing with one trigger

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Winchester 24...both barrels firing with one trigger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 12:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Winchester 24...both barrels firing with one trigger

I have become the new owner of my fathers Winchester 24. It's in great shape and looks and feels just like I remember when I was a kid. It has one problem...I think. I say I think because I really don't know much about this old gun. Anyway... when I pull the rear trigger to fire the left barrel...both barrels fire at the same time. When I pull the front trigger first..only the right barrel fires..
Is this normal?? If not, any suggestions as to what could be the problem. Could it be dirty? or could something be sticking?

I spoke to my brother and he suggested taking 2 spent shells, put a piece of tape over the primer., load them and pull the left trigger and see if both barrels fire. They did not. Only the left barrel would puncture the tape. I tried it a couple of dozen times and it appeared to be working just fine. It seems to malfunction only with live rounds.

Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks in advance
Phil

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-11-2011, 12:49 AM   #2

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

That seems to be a pretty serious malfunction. At first guess I would say a worn sear since it only happens with live rounds. Get thee to a gun smith!!

For curiosity's sake, try the same experiment, but instead if pulling the trigger, bump the stock against the floor.

Last edited by trip286; 12-11-2011 at 12:51 AM.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:19 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9146 Times on 3949 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Recoil of firing is causing the sear to slip. No, it is not normal. Either worn or crudded up. Technically, may be illegal. You need to get that to a gunsmith. He can replace the sear.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:19 AM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2598 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Phil,

If the gun has not been used for a long time and from what you said remembering shooting it when you were young. I would suggest a couple of things to do before taking it to the Gunsmith or finding one of the Winchester Service Centers in your area. Since the inside of the shotgun has probably not been cleaned since new. You may want to get it to the service center for a good cleaning a lube inside which they can also check out the parts for any wear. While thinking about your problem the following thought came to mind. Since the firing pins also have a spring that sets over them it could be simply that the right side is gummed up. This could cause the spring to remain partially compressed and cause an inertia firing situation when the left barrel is shot. For a quick check I would first take some Brake and Parts cleaner and use the nozzle to spay a little into the firing pin hole. Do that a couple of times let is set for a second and then blow it out with a compressor or one of those typewriter compressed air cans. Then put a drop or two of lube down the firing pin hole. Could be that gum is just keeping the firing pin spring from fully extending due to dirt and debris. Worst case if there could possibly be a little rust in there you could take some W-D 40 and spray a little in the firing pin hole and let it set for a good while. Followed up by the Break and Parts Cleaner, air and then a couple of drops of good lube. Of course it could also have a broken firing pin spring which would be best to get it to the service center or competent gunsmith. Because in this case inertia is certainly allowing the right side firing pin to go forward and strike the primer when the ohter barrel is fired. But don't take it to some jack leg professing gunsmith. You have a very nice shotgun there! And somewhat of a collectors piece. I use to have one what a fine shotgun. Only my thoughts! Good luck!

Old 12-11-2011, 01:38 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2952 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 1271

Don't use brake cleaner. It leaves a residue that if heated is very dangerous to one's health.

Use a good carb cleaner. And WD-40 is Water Displacement formula 40th attempt.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-11-2011, 01:40 AM   #6

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl
Don't use brake cleaner. It leaves a residue that if heated is very dangerous to one's health.

Use a good carb cleaner. And WD-40 is Water Displacement formula 40th attempt.
No kidding? I always wondered how they came up with the name.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:58 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2952 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 1271

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
No kidding? I always wondered how they came up with the name.
And people question the wisdom of us older folks....

WD-40 Company and Product History

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #8

Thanks for all of the great info. I wasn't thinking of repairing it myself, but I'm willing to try to clean it and see what happens. My only concern is that I won't know for sure if it worked until I try and fire it again. I'm very concerned about firing both barrels at the same time. It is SOOOO loud, and has a strange ringing, clanging sound. Almost like hitting a very large bell with a very large sledgehammer. Even with ear proctection it hurts my ears.
Any suggestions of how I can tell if the cleaning worked? Anything I can look for?
Phil

Old 05-19-2012, 01:33 AM   #9

It's fixed!!!!
It was a worn seer. I had the seer, firing pin assembly and seer pin replaced.
It works great! I hope it will last another 50+ years.
Thanks for all the good info.
Phil