will cylinder and/or crane drop in?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum >

will cylinder and/or crane drop in?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2014, 08:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 28 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default will cylinder and/or crane drop in?

this is for a friend of mine, since i don't know i thought i would ask ya'll as he doesn't have internet. he seen how well my service six performed that he found a blue security six from 1984 at a local shop. when he got it yesterday i told him to do a complete take down and cleaning. he did but his 6 yr old slipped in and got his cylinder and crane assembly. now it's still ok but it doesn't look as good. the kid beat it against the cement porch and threw it as well. the crane isn't to bad but does have dings and scratches, the cylinder looks terrible and the ejector and rod aren't good at all. he found one on gun broker and wondered if he bought it will it drop in?, he doesn't want to involve a gunsmith he is wanting to bid on it soon, so thanks for any help asap.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-27-2014, 09:04 PM   #2

Liked 2181 Times on 1196 Posts
Likes Given: 1403

Six years old? Has he considered adoption?

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
People Like This 
Old 07-27-2014, 09:12 PM   #3

Liked 569 Times on 303 Posts

And that folks is why you don't baby proof a house.... You teach them early on not to touch things that aren't theirs from an early age!
People Like This 
Old 07-27-2014, 09:23 PM   #4

Liked 359 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Maybe it's just me, but I could swear I've seen this same question asked (re-worded) in 3 or 4 different threads now in the last month or so.

I'll do a search to see if it's been answered.....

ETA:
Well, apparently not.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/service-six-108567/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/different-cylinder-crane-107113/

The words "he doesn't want to involve a gunsmith" worries me though.

Last edited by Highpower; 07-27-2014 at 09:54 PM. Reason: edit to add....

Old 07-27-2014, 09:29 PM   #5

Liked 115 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Yep, you "drop in" to a good smith and have it fit. Seriously, are these new parts? I imagine you can look up an overview of what issues you may face but without the know how I wouldn't do it unless it was a have to case. I'm thinking you could face things like lead shaving at the forcing cone or the cylinder just binding up.
On second thought, box the reassembled piece up, write an honest description of the damage and send it to Ruger, they may fix it cheaper than anyone else. I gripe about some of my Rugers but they go above and beyond sometimes for their customers.

Last edited by p35bhp55; 07-27-2014 at 09:34 PM.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:45 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 607 Times on 401 Posts
Likes Given: 676

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctshooter View Post
And that folks is why you don't baby proof a house.... You teach them early on not to touch things that aren't theirs from an early age!
I am now working on my grandkids on the same thing ( I am not around all of them as much as I was around my kids ), I never moved anything out of their reach ( no guns in the house at that time), as soon as they could reach I was able to say NO and enforce it if neccesary. My wife was with me on every item on this. It made life so much simpler to be able to start with a fast hard hold and relax as the lessons took than try to hold easy and clamp down as the stubborness showed.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:49 PM   #7

Liked 28 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I could swear I've seen this same question asked (re-worded) in 3 or 4 different threads now in the last month or so.

I'll do a search to see if it's been answered.....
this just happened the other day, but other's may have had it happened too. i thought i might get one for my ruger at one time but i'm just gonna enjoy shooting it. i have a 3yr old and i'm already teaching him to keep his hands off others stuff.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:00 PM   #8
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 11007 Times on 4767 Posts
Likes Given: 1810

1. Nope- need fitting. Will be close, but no cigar.

2. Take it to a gunsmith.

3. Six year old should know better. Smack his azz.

Anything else?
Old 08-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #9

Liked 61 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I have a 9 year old grand that came to spend a couple days last wk. They are around guns at home so I assumed they have been well taught as they go shooting and have a 22 of their own. They; he has an 11 yo brother. The first thing he does when he walks in the door is pick up a wooden AK 47 I made as part of a Halloween costume. I hear him say,
"Wow is this real" as I am looking down the barrel. The tongue lashing was short, loud and concise!!! I then had to assure myself that I didn't have any more weapons available to arouse his curiosity. I think he got the message, I sure did. If I house proof my child it covers him where ever he goes. If I child proof the house its only effective at home.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.
People Like This