Wierd GP100 Problem
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Wierd GP100 Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Wierd GP100 Problem

I have a 4" GP 100 and I changed the grips out and put Pachmayr finger groove grips on it last night.

Then the wierdest thing happened. It functions, but it has gotten very tight to cycle. When I pull the trigger, there's lots of resistance and the cylinder is very tight to turn. The trigger pull is off the charts.

I pulled the grips back off and pulled the hammer spring, hammer and trigger group and everything seems normal. I cleaned the parts up, lubed the trigger group and reassembled it. Same problem.

So I disassembled it and reassembled it several times, all with the same result. I am completely stumped. Obviously the grips have nothing to do with the operation of the revolver, so it just doesn't make sense.

It seems that I'm missing something, but I haven't a clue. Does anyone have any suggestions? And why would such a thing happen in the first place?

BTW, this is the first .357 I ever owned. I had an opportunity to buy it back from a buddy. I had it to the range last weekend and it shot fine. I plan on using it as my woods gun for if and when we ever get to Oregon.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-01-2009, 08:58 PM   #2

Is your grip screw overtightened and pinching the mainspring? Just a thought.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 09-01-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

No. I tried it with the grips off and on and it makes no difference.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-01-2009, 10:30 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Let me get this straight. You changed grips & now it's trying to lock up? Is the internal lock (if equipped) partially "on"? Are the grips or screw interfering with the spring? Did the screw knock the spring/hammer stirrup out of their normal position? It sounds like the stirrup/spring/bushing got knocked out of alignment to me. Got pics of it with the grips off?

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 09-01-2009, 11:19 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Bear, it's a Ruger, so no internal lock, but it does have a transfer bar. It just doesn't make sense.

I'm going to play with it some more tonight and if I can't get it right, I'm going to send it off to Ruger. I'll let them figure it out.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:21 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Okay, I completely disassembled the trigger group this time around. It operates fine. The problem arises when it's assembled. I've taken Rugers apart a bunch of times to do trigger jobs, so I don't think I have an issue of doing something wrong.

The best way to describe it is that the trigger is binding. I guess I'll ship it off to Ruger's New Hampshire shop tomorrow.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The newest Rugers do have an internal lock-the reason I asked. It sounds like an assembly or hammer/trigger alignment problem but that wouldn't explain having the problem arising from just changing grips. I'd have to see it to fix it.

Be sure & have the gun as factory before you send it back-Ruger will change it back to factory condition.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 09-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I didn't realize that Ruger had gone to an internal lock.

As I've said, it just doesn't make any sense, so I'm going to ship it off to Ruger. I hate to do it because the last time I sent them handgun, they lost it in the shuffle and it took almost five months to get it back.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:24 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

It's on its way to Ruger. I hope it doesn't take forever to get it back.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:22 AM   #10

I sent my GP100 back in March of this year..... I just got it back about 2 or 3 weeks ago. Good luck!