Why Is Dry Firing Bad? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Why Is Dry Firing Bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 11:57 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2025 Times on 1404 Posts
Likes Given: 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Just a vestige of days past when cap and ball revolvers were the newest thing. Urban legends like this can transcend generations. If the revovler is in otherwise good working condition, dry firing will do NO damage.

As a S&W revolver armorer, I can say w/o a doubt that you will not damage a S&W revolver by dry firing it. I cannot say the same about some lesser makes. Brittle parts can be damaged by impact.

If you send a revolver to S&W for a trigger job, they will dry fire it several thousand times to wear it in so they will be able to see where the friction is. If you are not happy with the trigger pull on your S&W revolver, dry fire it until your finger feels like falling off and you will see marked improvement. Detail clean and lube and it will feel liken a different gu
ok. btw I've never felt it necessary to improve the trigger pull in a DA S&W, incl my ccw

Old 03-22-2014, 03:46 AM   #42
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
Unfortunately I know this from experience. Once or twice you might get lucky and get no damage, but after that, there's goes your spring. I think I did it on one of those Daisy 1000fps rifles about 10 years ago. Didn't dare try it on my RWS 350 magnum or Benjamin super streak.

I've done it a couple times with my Gamo but it's low powered so it didn't break the spring and it still fires fine, but I haven't done it in a long time not since before I learned it was bad for the gun. You can dry fire pump guns though.

RESIDENT PELLET GUN GUY

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 03-22-2014, 04:14 AM   #43

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA View Post
I've done it a couple times with my Gamo but it's low powered so it didn't break the spring and it still fires fine, but I haven't done it in a long time not since before I learned it was bad for the gun. You can dry fire pump guns though.

RESIDENT PELLET GUN GUY
Oh I know lol, as a kid all my pumps bb guns were dry fired, or fired nails, dog food pellets, rocks, 10 bbs at a time for a mini shotgun, birshot bbs from a cut shell, darts, snipped pieced of wire, silly putty, q-tips, just anything that would fit in the thing when I ran out of ammo.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

People Like This 
Old 03-23-2014, 12:15 AM   #44
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Oh I know lol, as a kid all my pumps bb guns were dry fired, or fired nails, dog food pellets, rocks, 10 bbs at a time for a mini shotgun, birshot bbs from a cut shell, darts, snipped pieced of wire, silly putty, q-tips, just anything that would fit in the thing when I ran out of ammo.

I have not tried any of that stuff, but I have fire a piece of plastic in that Gamo i mentioned.

RESIDENT PELLET GUN GUY

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 03-23-2014, 12:29 AM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Some manufacturers recommend against dry firing, not because it will damage the gun, but to avoid a lawsuit in case some turkey "dry-fires" a live round through his bedroom wall into a neighbor's apartment.
It is easy to be dry-firing, then load the gun to put it away, get distracted, then come back and pick up the now-loaded gun and resume the dry-firing, squeeze one off through the wall. I have done that twice, and fortunately didn't hit anybody. But that could possibly result in a lawsuit against you and the manufacturer. The manufacturer because they could collect more moolah from him than from you. Even if no harm is done, it could get you kicked out of the apartment, or the neighborhood.
So, dry-fire away, but just be careful.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:58 AM   #46

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
Some manufacturers recommend against dry firing, not because it will damage the gun, but to avoid a lawsuit in case some turkey "dry-fires" a live round through his bedroom wall into a neighbor's apartment.

It is easy to be dry-firing, then load the gun to put it away, get distracted, then come back and pick up the now-loaded gun and resume the dry-firing, squeeze one off through the wall. I have done that twice, and fortunately didn't hit anybody. But that could possibly result in a lawsuit against you and the manufacturer. The manufacturer because they could collect more moolah from him than from you. Even if no harm is done, it could get you kicked out of the apartment, or the neighborhood.

So, dry-fire away, but just be careful.

Wouldn't a careless blunder as you described fall completely on the shoulders of the careless one who fired the accidental shot?Are not guns supposed to function and fire with a live rounds? Is the gun and or the manufacture supposed to know the difference between a fool who loads a live round but thinks the gun is empty? What am I missing! Unless the gun malfunctions in some sort of matter, like a safety malfunction I see no court/lawyer in the world that could make a case against the manufacture! Maybe I'm missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
Old 03-23-2014, 07:49 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 362 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 157

On old shotguns, I have heard that the pin can shoot off the spring, because the primer is not there to stop it. My model 37, an old break action, has a firing pin that is a touch loose and I could see it shooting out if I dry fired it a lot.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 03-30-2014, 04:41 PM   #48

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I practice all the time and always use a snap cap in my pistols and shot gun. The center where the firing pin strikes is a softer plastic to simulate a primer cap. They don't cost much and they are dark brown so you can't mistake them for the real thing. http://www.amazon.com/A-Zoom-Luger-Precision-Snap-Caps/dp/B0002IKANW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396197683&sr=8-1&keywords=snap+caps

Old 03-31-2014, 02:52 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

According to Glock its ok to dry fire their guns but if your going to be doing a bunch of it they recommend using snap caps.

http://us.glock.com/customer-service/faq

Also if your going to do a little dry firing with a rimfire those yellow plastic wall anchors make good temporary snap cap.

mummlrrlgoklkqjeioow3pw.jpg  

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

People Like This 
Old 04-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #50

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
I remember shooting match heads out of my pellet gun at concreat wall s itcwas kool at night lol

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping

KG7IL Likes This