Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Who's a Gunsmith? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/whos-gunsmith-67438/)

Tommygunarms 07-01-2012 10:30 PM

Who's a Gunsmith?

Hey all, I was wondering how many of you are actual gunsmiths.

I believe that gunsmiths should stick together, so we could exchange information and help each other out of need be.

So just put where you went to school for it and your specialty if you have one,

e.g.

I went to Colorado School of Trades and I do custom work and general gunsmithing and specialize in AKs, shotguns, and military firearms.

bearrwe 07-02-2012 03:47 PM

We have several practicing gunsmiths here. Some went to school we also have some that did apprenticeships or learner in military. I'm retired but went to Murray State in OK. I specialed in 1911's, M14, H&K and conversions which were Legal back when I started. After the ban I did a lot of LE and carry work. Now its just a hobby and teaching my son.

Tommygunarms 07-02-2012 10:37 PM

I always wanted to work on conversions, but I don't have the patience for the ATF nor the money for the licenses and tex stamps,

but right now I'm currently working on putting together some parts kits, which is something I'm trying to specialize in too

HotGuns 07-03-2012 02:30 PM

I do custom stuff, like build custom rifles,Saiga conversions and a lot of SBR and SBS stuff. I also do trigger jobs, barrel swapouts, drilling and tapping and all of the stuff that goes with it. I do LEO work for several different agencys. I sell some suppressors too.

FuzzyGunsmith 07-10-2012 12:35 AM

I am currently taking a gumsmithing course. After i finish i am going to do an apprenticeship and hopfully one day own my own shop. My grandfather used to be a well known gunsmith in the northeast untill he had a stroke and had to stop the business, but he still does some side work for people so its nice to go to his house and pick his brain.

BallisticSurgeon 07-10-2012 12:38 AM

I start Pennsylvania Gunsmith School in August.

bearrwe 07-10-2012 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyGunsmith
I am currently taking a gumsmithing course. After i finish i am going to do an apprenticeship and hopfully one day own my own shop. My grandfather used to be a well known gunsmith in the northeast untill he had a stroke and had to stop the business, but he still does some side work for people so its nice to go to his house and pick his brain.

Congrats on Gunsmithing course and get all the info you can from your Grandfather. I wish you the best with an apprenticeship. Just remember sometimes it's best to bite your tongue and listen and if your mentor disappears you have to start over! ;D

bearrwe 07-10-2012 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallisticSurgeon
I start Pennsylvania Gunsmith School in August.

Congrats on school and good luck in your future! Remember us when you become rich and famous, if you end up broke I'm sorry but I recently changed my number!:D

BallisticSurgeon 07-10-2012 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearrwe

Congrats on school and good luck in your future! Remember us when you become rich and famous, if you end up broke I'm sorry but I recently changed my number!:D

Roger that hahaha

g17frantz 07-10-2012 04:56 AM

Apprenticing at the moment. Love it. And I get paid to do it to boot. AR's, Saiga 12 GA.'s, AK's, pistols....did I mention I love it