Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Where to get an apprenticeship for gun smithing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 02:17 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 328 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
to give you some comparison, working on wood gun stocks is more like building or restoring fine furniture. still not beyond your abilities by any means.

do lots of reading on all types of guns to get a working knowledge of them.

IMO, gunsmithing is more of passion and a love for working on guns. most gunsmiths do it simply because they enjoy the work andnot for the money. theskillsthat most gunsmithshave could very well earn them big bucks in other fields rather than repairing and working on guns. in some ways, it's a dying art simply because most just don't have the commitment to the time and effort it takes to become a good gunsmith and that there are much better paying jobs. it takes years to build up the skills, the reputation and the client base to make it as a gunsmith.

most of the gunsmiths i know, do it part time, on the weekends and nights and have a regular job to support themselves and to pay the bills.
Your post is very consistent from others and has given me even more insight, thanks. I love working on my guns and cleaning them etc. I think with what I know and have done as far as my current job and my gun knowledge, I could definitely get a solid foothold into the job. And I plan on getting a full time smith job, but that will be years down the road after I have, as you said, built up reputation and honed my skills even more. I know a few smiths, not too personally, that work 24/7 for gun stores. I really like the job and I think I have the willpower to get on the right path, I just am looking for the place to start (A school VS. an apprentice.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-26-2014, 02:22 AM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20013 Times on 11377 Posts
Likes Given: 50487

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx View Post
Your post is very consistent from others and has given me even more insight, thanks. I love working on my guns and cleaning them etc. I think with what I know and have done as far as my current job and my gun knowledge, I could definitely get a solid foothold into the job. And I plan on getting a full time smith job, but that will be years down the road after I have, as you said, built up reputation and honed my skills even more. I know a few smiths, not too personally, that work 24/7 for gun stores. I really like the job and I think I have the willpower to get on the right path, I just am looking for the place to start (A school VS. an apprentice.
maybe do both if possible. find a gunsmith that would let you apprentice and take some courses online as well. personally, a school where you went full time and were doing it hands on, vs. online, would be better, but much more expensive and would probably require relocation to where the school was located. online you could do it in your spare time, or at night. i think you could still pick up some valuable information to go along with being a hands on apprentice at the same time.