Where do I look for parts?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Where do I look for parts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 01:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Where do I look for parts?

I am a 35 year old woman that has grown up around guns and is going to school now to be a gunsmith. Everyone here is shocked that I am even interested in this. I will hopefully be opening a store up soon, but having a hard time finding the hard to find parts. For example, had a guy bring by a BPI- Connecticut Valley Arms Magbolt 150 and wants it back in firing condition. Ok now my problem is that I can not find a diagram, picture, or even parts for this riffle. Can someone please help me out here.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-05-2012, 02:13 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

duckie- welcome to the forum- when you get a minute, stop over by the intro thread, say howdy, and tell us about yourself. We have a few other ladies that hang around- they pretty much cuss, spit, and drink like the rest of us, but they are more genteel when they do it.

Parts and pictures- Hoo boy! First, get real good at Google. A lot of gunmakers have owner's manuals on their websites. Also visit this one, and copy it to your favorites page (and if you use his stuff, contribute a buck or two to keep the lights on) http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm

If the maker is still in business, they would be an obvious first choice. gunpartscorp.com is the site for Numrich- used parts (no receivers) for a LOT of guns. Brownells is a good source for a lot of things, and Dixie Gun Works for muzzleloader stuff. Send all of them a copy of your FFL, you get a discount from them.

Disclaimer- I am not a smith- am a hobbyist, collector, and long term C&R FFL holder- but wind up looking for the damndest stuff to restore older guns I am working on (any seen a spare aperture sight for Mossberg 152 lately?)

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:16 AM   #3

Liked 2395 Times on 1401 Posts
Likes Given: 538

C# already named most of teh places I'd recommend. Brownells is a great resource for gunsmiths as you get a bit of a discount through them and they have most of the stuff a good gunsmith needs.

For parts on obsolete guns Numrich Gunparts is a good resource. They also have a lot of schematics of guns on their website to help you figure out what parts you need.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:35 AM   #4

Thanks to both of you. Numrich was my first choice but they did not even list this gun. I have contacted CVA but no reply back yet. I will keep trying and thanks for the info. I am sure it will be very helpful.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:43 AM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Do some more research on the gun. Numrich probably has parts for a variant that will work. Many cva guns are very similar and parts can often be interchangeable. If you can't find something on numrich than Dixie gun works probably has it. It's well worth ordering their catalog if you will be working with bp guns.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:46 AM   #6

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

See if this helps duckie.

Connecticut Valley Arms Schematics

CVA inline Muzzleloading Rifle manual

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
hiwall Likes This 
Old 06-05-2012, 03:10 AM   #7

thanks yal. ordered that catalog and checking out those sites now

Old 06-06-2012, 04:17 AM   #8

Thank you canebrake. and everyone else but i used the info that you gave me cane and got everything that i was looking for. thank you so much