Where to buy
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Where to buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 07:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 20 Posts

Default Where to buy

New user and I'm not really sure where to put this thread but I figured that this was the most fitting...but sorry if I put it in the wrong catagory. Anyways, I have recently learned about carving gunstocks. Im not talking about relief carving a scene onto a stock but carving the actual stock out of blank. Im trying to find where to buy the rest of the gun. I dont even know what to really search for... Im not looking for anything fancy at all...just a plain bolt action hunting rifle. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by rferguson61; 10-21-2011 at 07:18 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-21-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9560 Times on 4114 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Well, back in the day, rifles consisted of a lock, stock, and barrel. Now a bit more complicated.

The "rest of the gun" could mean different things, depending on the rifle.

The key ingredient is the receiver. The receiver, or frame is LEGALLY the gun. Everything else is parts. Barrels is parts, triggers is parts, magazines is parts- but receivers is GUNS- meaning you have paperwork to do with a dealer, even if what you are buying is incomplete.

You might start by on line shopping for USED guns over at auctionarms.com and gunbroker.com. DO remember that you need to consider shipping fees and FFL fees when you estimate what you want to pay. AFTER you have rifle in hand, THEN make a stock for it.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:18 PM   #3

I believe what you're looking for are barreled receivers.

-- boomenshutzen

"If some monster tries to rape or murder a woman I care about, I don’t want him to see the flickering light of a candle. I want him to see a muzzle flash, from the front." -- Massad Ayoob

Old 10-21-2011, 06:45 PM   #4

Liked 764 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 240

I would suggest (like c3shooter) that you just buy a complete gun and re-stock it. Might very well be cheaper doing it that way. Plus you will have an example to look at when you do the inletting.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:34 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Lots of results on gunbroker.com, most notably some M-1's.

Sporterized M1903 Barreled Receiver & Bolt .30-06 : Barrels at GunBroker.com
Not 100% complete, but interesting.

M91/30 MOSIN-NAGANT BARRELED RECEIVER, 7.62 X 54R : Curios and Relics at GunBroker.com $50, gonna need a bolt & trigger group though.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:54 AM   #6

Liked 41 Times on 20 Posts

Thanks guys! I agree that a barreled reciever is what I was looking for. BUT like you suggested restocking a gun might be better especially for my first time. I want something cheap...i dont even care what caliber just to play around with. Also, thanks for the definitions. Im (obviously, im sure) new to the gun world. This will be my first gun (unless I break down and buy a hunting rifle for the season). If you know a good place to buy barrled receivers for the future that would be cool. Or even better ive seen gun kits (all/or most the parts in a package and you assemble it) but I can't remember where.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:14 AM   #7
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7815 Times on 4690 Posts
Likes Given: 9841

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomenshutzen View Post
I believe what you're looking for are barreled receivers.
I tried to Google this and couldn't find the answer. What's the difference between a receiver and a barrelled receiver?

Old 10-22-2011, 09:23 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3113 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1325

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I tried to Google this and couldn't find the answer. What's the difference between a receiver and a barrelled receiver?
Winds, one has a barrel already attached to the receiver. Saves (supposedly) the owner from having to headspace the barrel to the receiver. Receiver alone allows the owner to choose what barrel/caliber they want to use the receiver with.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

If you want an unusual project, there are a couple of pieces at classicarms.net that you might find interesting. They have receivers for a mosin nagant, stripped of bolt and trigger group. They also have heavy target barrels for them that came from a machine gun of the same caliber.

Firearms

It would not be an easy project & you would want a gunsmith's help at some point.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:04 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6018 Times on 3152 Posts
Likes Given: 431

Quote:
Originally Posted by rferguson61 View Post
Thanks guys! I agree that a barreled reciever is what I was looking for. BUT like you suggested restocking a gun might be better especially for my first time. I want something cheap...i dont even care what caliber just to play around with. Also, thanks for the definitions. Im (obviously, im sure) new to the gun world. This will be my first gun (unless I break down and buy a hunting rifle for the season). If you know a good place to buy barrled receivers for the future that would be cool. Or even better ive seen gun kits (all/or most the parts in a package and you assemble it) but I can't remember where.
if i was going to do a bolt gun from the ground up i would prolly go with savage. they sell their recievers and the way the barrels attach is more like setting up a ar15. you end up with a nice do it yourself shooter.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...