You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum >

Wheeler FAT wrench

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 01:24 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Will do, wish it wasn't gonna take 8weeks for the stock to come in oh well lookin at a timney trigger this rifle building thing is addictive

Old 03-16-2011, 04:59 AM   #12

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 68

The Wheeler FAT wrench is actually a pretty good piece of kit. It is not pinpoint accurate, but will stay within about 4-5 inch lbs, which falls within the acceptable range for gun related projects.

I keep one in my range tool kit and use it a lot. It stays calibrated to another Wheeler that I use, so until they fail to "mate" up I'll keep using them.

And I think Midway gives them a lifetime warranty. The early ones had some problems, but the current crop seem to have the problems addressed.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 03-16-2011, 06:03 AM   #13

Liked 1465 Times on 819 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-17-2011, 03:05 AM   #14

Well, got a Wheeler professional scope mounting kit, for the most part is a good kit the only problem that I had was the ring alignment bar these things are worthless at least with my Warne ring and bases they will not allow for the rings to get tight enough to eliminate movement the FAT wrench actually seemed to perform very well dont know how accurate it is but it does seem to be consitant

Old 03-17-2011, 03:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossyoakman3006 View Post
Well, got a Wheeler professional scope mounting kit, for the most part is a good kit the only problem that I had was the ring alignment bar these things are worthless at least with my Warne ring and bases they will not allow for the rings to get tight enough to eliminate movement the FAT wrench actually seemed to perform very well dont know how accurate it is but it does seem to be consitant
Should have gone with the Kokopelli Products Alignment kit. Warne rings are tougher to align and lapp than standard split ring sets, due to the way the tighten. Great rings, but not easy to align and lapp.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 03-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #16

One thing to look at.
If you buy good quality rings and a quality one piece base, such as a Farrel base, there will never be a need to lapp rings.
Gun manufacturers don't always drill their holes perfect, for that reason, I always suggest a good base.
Before I retired from my gunsmithing business, I always did my best to advise customers to buy quality bases and rings. It protects your scope.
Just drop a bar into the bases and tighten up the rings. Your scope will be perfectly aligned with the rings. No need to lap.
The one piece base also strengthens the action which can improve the accuracy due to less flex of the action when the rifle is fired.

Rings and bases are no place to skimp. I never use 2 piece bases on my rifles.
The amount of force a scope puts on a base and rings when the rifle is fired is considerable. You need a set up as solid as you can get.

John K

Old 03-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #17

Liked 74 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman55 View Post
One thing to look at.
If you buy good quality rings and a quality one piece base, such as a Farrel base, there will never be a need to lapp rings.

John K
With all due respect to your background, I know some people who will completely disagree with that statement.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman55 View Post
One thing to look at.
Gun manufacturers don't always drill their holes perfect, for that reason, I always suggest a good base.
Before I retired from my gunsmithing business, I always did my best to advise customers to buy quality bases and rings. It protects your scope.
Just drop a bar into the bases and tighten up the rings. Your scope will be perfectly aligned with the rings. No need to lap.
The one piece base also strengthens the action which can improve the accuracy due to less flex of the action when the rifle is fired.

Rings and bases are no place to skimp. I never use 2 piece bases on my rifles.
The amount of force a scope puts on a base and rings when the rifle is fired is considerable. You need a set up as solid as you can get.

John K
John, the quality of the rifle, rings and bases has no affect whatsoever on whether or not the rings need to be lapped. Slight manufacturing imperfections will always be present, and necessitate the need for lapping.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI