Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   What is your ideal trigger pull? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/what-your-ideal-trigger-pull-43062/)

Poink88 05-27-2011 12:49 AM

What is your ideal trigger pull?

I have been tinkering with my CZ-75 SP01 9mm (HD and range gun) and got the following:

Slide pull..............14.0 lbs
DA trigger pull....... 9.0 lbs
SA trigger pull....... 4.5 lbs

I really love the trigger pull now and wondering, what do you prefer?

danf_fl 05-27-2011 01:15 AM

On my 1911's, I have a "it depends" answer:
SD - around 4-5lbs
Plinking - 4-5lbs
Action shooting 3.5-4lbs
Target - 3-4lbs

Military type rifles 8-11lbs
Hunting Rifle less than 1lb

Dillinger 05-27-2011 01:37 AM

I only carry a 1911 in Condition One. I have done this for over 10 years and don't see it changing anytime, EVAH!

My personal 1911's are tuned to 3.5-3.75 pounds of pull on my single stage trigger with a 5 pull average. It's known as "Street Carry" in the shop where I hang out and just listen/observe and learn. This is not for everyone and takes a lot of getting used too.

I DO NOT recommend going this light unless you dry fire and hot fire a ton of rounds. This is the type of pressure that can off with the blink of an eye in hands that are not familiar with putting rounds downrange.

I routinely practice a mental countdown of rounds as I pull the trigger. We practice doing a "hot" reload in mind, where the last round or second to last round, is in the chamber when I dump the mag and reload.

I would never go this light on a weapon without a manual safety, but the 1911 has two in the grip and frame safeties.

I suspect that everyone has their personal preferences, which I look forward to reading, but for me this is the setup that I bet my personal carry on.

JD

Jesse17 05-27-2011 01:47 AM

My 1911 is dead on 4 lbs. and it seams fine to me.

I adjust my riffles to 2 lbs. even for hunting, but I'm a much bigger shooter than a hunter.

cpttango30 05-27-2011 01:59 AM

As light as I can safely have it.

Hawg 05-27-2011 12:11 PM

Three pounds for pistols and hunting rifles. Three ounces for a target rifle.

P90 05-27-2011 12:23 PM

My Ruger P90DC has a 9 lb. DA and 3 1/2 lb. SA pull. I like a 2 1/2 - 3 lb. pull on my Rifles.

Gojubrian 05-27-2011 12:31 PM

Quote:

I DO NOT recommend going this light unless you dry fire and hot fire a ton of rounds. This is the type of pressure that can off with the blink of an eye in hands that are not familiar with putting rounds downrange.
I can attest to this!

The first couple of trips to the range with J.D.'s old Kimber I was accidentally double tapping bigtime! I'm use to it now, but I think in a high stress situation the gun would practically fire itself.
Sure is good for target shooting if you really pay attention.

I like a heavy trigger pull for carry. I only feel that way now because I don't practice nearly enough anymore.

dnthmn2004 05-27-2011 01:01 PM

I enjoy my MA compliant 10lb trigger. :D

Poink88 05-27-2011 01:37 PM

Great! Based on the posts so far, it seems like my 4.5# SA pull is right around the "average" ideal for HD/range gun.

I would be hesitant to reduce it further though I know I can. I think it is a good setting w/o compromising safety. I am also expecting it to go down a bit more with use as things "set" or "wear" and get naturally polished.

I prefer DA/SA over pistols w/ frame or slide safeties. I don't mind grip and trigger safety (like in XDm) since I don't have to mess with them.