What epoxy or polymer filler matl to use?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > What epoxy or polymer filler matl to use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 01:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default What epoxy or polymer filler matl to use?

I'm looking to install a Picatinny rail on the underneath side of my new Marlin XT-22RZ (a bolt action, threaded barrel .22LR). It has a polymer {plastic} stock. The Picatinny rail will be used to attach a bipod. The fore arm is pretty much hollow space - it does have some 'molded in' bulkheads ever couple of inches down the length of the fore arm and a rib/bulkhead that runs lengthwise down the bottom of the fore arm channel.

The long rib is centered in the middle of the fore arm channel and maybe 1/16" thick. And of course that's exactly where I will be drilling the two holes to mount the Rail (fore & aft). So, between the perpendicular supporting bulkheads and this long one running down the middle of the channel, I'm left with, what basically are four little compartments or chambers that I'm looking to put some kind of "filler" material in.

So....finally, my question: The filler material needs to harden and be able to be drilled through (to support the mounting bolts of the Picatinney rail). What type of resin can/should be used for this? (I'm looking for name brands and/or where to buy it).

I'm sure gun smithing folks run into this often - but I'm fairly new at having to try something like this. [Also: the Marlin molded swivel shape makes a bipod swivel mount unusable, just in case you were about to suggest that path]. Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Know when to hold 'em...and know when to fold 'em.

Last edited by busykngt; 01-21-2013 at 01:06 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-21-2013, 01:30 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9146 Times on 3949 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

All else fails- JB Weld.

jbweld.jpg

Give it a couple of days to cure completely, you can drill it, tap it, machine it, etc. Cheap and readily available- but is NOT a "fast cure" product.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

eldarbeast Likes This 
Old 01-21-2013, 02:40 AM   #3

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

They do make JB Weld in a fast cure(5 minute) but the original slow cure (like pictured) is much stronger.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:45 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

J B Weld would be the one i would have suggested as well. make sure all your mating surfaces are very clean. degrease and also clean with alcohol as well. no matter how strong an adhesive is, it won't bond properly unless it's clean.

Hiwall, the JB Weld Quik is crap! i used some in the past, and won't ever use it again. only the slow curing original JB Weld.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:11 AM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

Have you ever messed with a plastic welder? They are easy to use. It may work for your situation

Old 01-21-2013, 03:49 AM   #6

Liked 83 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
J B Weld would be the one i would have suggested as well. make sure all your mating surfaces are very clean. degrease and also clean with alcohol as well. no matter how strong an adhesive is, it won't bond properly unless it's clean.
Might want to also rough up the surface just a little to make sure the JB Weld gets a good grip on the stock.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSStryker View Post
Might want to also rough up the surface just a little to make sure the JB Weld gets a good grip on the stock.
excellent point! sometimes when you do somethings so many times you forget some of the finer details.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:47 AM   #8

Liked 112 Times on 71 Posts

Why not just drill through and use machine screws and nuts on the inside of the forearm?

Old 01-21-2013, 05:36 AM   #9

another option would bethis Boyd's laminated stock already has two front sling swivels for using a bipod.

RIMFIRE HUNTER MARLIN® XT CLIP SERIES HEAVY BARREL CHANNEL STOCK PEPPER LAMINATE (FINISHED)

priced at $92, it's a good deal. even if you secure the rail for mounting the bipod, the forearm is still going to have a lot of flex. i used one very similar to this on my Savage M93r17 and it's a great stock for the price. i have used them on another rifle as well. Boyd's is what i would suggest instead of trying to modifying the factory flimsy stock.
www.boydsgunstocks.com

Old 01-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #10

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

I would ask "what will you be using the gun for"? The conditions you will be using it in can influence how you handle the situation. Boyds makes great wood stocks but extra care may be needed in damp environments. Synthetic stocks are better there. I used JB weld in my Mosin Nagant stock to bed and reinforce some spots.