What Does A Gun Smith Do? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum >

What Does A Gun Smith Do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 01:11 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1337 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 857

I think the 1st response was the best one. Assuming you're talking a full-line gunsmith. I have noticed that around here, most people who call themselves "gunsmiths" aren't. I honestly don't know where I would take my gun for some of the more critical repairs or upgrades.
For instance, threading a barrel sounds easy. It was recently brought to my attention that if you don't make the threads concentric TO THE BORE, forget it. easy to make threads, hard to do it correctly.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:17 AM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

being a true gunsmith is a passion and desire to work on firearms. it's a skill and vocation that takes years to learn, and is best learned from a master gunsmith as an apprentice. biggest problem is that few these days want to devote the commitment and the time it takes to truly learn as those before did.

yes learning online and from DVD's will teach you some things and with the internet, it's easy to google many problems and find a solution to that problem. but it's no replacement for learning from a master and doing it hand on.

and you're an unemployed father with a wife and a four year old? i don't mean to sound harsh, but trying to be realistic. you might think about finding another career that will allow you to better support your wife and child rather than trying to build a career in gunsmithing. even the few talented gunsmiths i know have full time day jobs and do it at night and on the weekends.