Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Welding advice needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2013, 04:04 AM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 187 Times on 121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7
Well, the local welder who would have been the best choice for this job got back from holidays and decided he can't do it. The TIG tip is too wide to get in where the feed rail was ground and still feed in a wire. He says there is a "mini" TIG welding tip that is about ¼ the size of his regular tip but he doesn't have one. I don't feel it's very likely anyone else will, either, around here. Most of the fabrication that goes on in these parts is related to the oil patch and they seem to mostly work with bigger stuff.

I decided to stone it down as best I can to smooth it off and just leave it. I have also come up with an idea to shim the back of the magazine box - which was always a ⅛" too long anyway - and this will have the added benefit of moving my rounds forward a bit and away from the worst of the grinding.

It's real hard for me to ignore such large imperfections, but I guess I'll have to. For a time, anyway.

Thanks for the help with the welding advice.
Once again, the correct approach is probably silver solder and not welding. Read a couple of books on gunsmithing.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:07 AM   #42

Liked 1394 Times on 729 Posts
Likes Given: 1919

I own several and I've read them all, bud.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 11-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #43

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts

I've looked carefully through this thread and couldn't find any information as to what make of action you have. This matters since different actions are made from different steels. Also access to the rails is more or less difficult depending on the make of the action.
In general, you can weld quite a bit on the rear of a receiver and not have to concern yourself with heat treating.
Silver solder is not always the best approach since the temperature required is hot enough to significantly alter the hardness of some steels.
A TIG welder uses a tungsten rod as an electrode to melt the parent metal and a filler rod for build-up. A good TIG operator can weld about anything and get good results. If I wanted to have something like this welded, I would strip it down and take it down to SAIT. There are always guys there who are re-certifying or something and would be able to do it for you. If I had all the particulars (action type etc.) I could furnish instructions if desired.
It used to be common practice (well, mabe not common) to cut two mauser actions in half at different points then weld the two long halves together to make a long action and the two short halves to make a short action. Many of us did this just as a project.
Anyway, if you are able to smooth it off and the cartridges are still retained in the magazine OK, you are probably on the right track. GD

Old 11-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #44

Liked 1394 Times on 729 Posts
Likes Given: 1919

Thanks, greydog. I never thought of SAIT, I'll keep that in the back of my mind. I think he'd have welded it but couldn't get his TIG tip into the very back of the feed rails where they were ground.

If I find time, I'll post a picture of what I did - which did involve solder but not the feed rails. Seems to be working OK but it's ugly so I'll pro'ly do something else in the future. Works, tho.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.