Welding advice needed - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Welding advice needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 12:37 AM   #21
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8261 Times on 4773 Posts
Likes Given: 10674

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
I might have line on a fussy guy and will show him the work next week. If he says he can do it and I get a good feeling, I will post "before" and "after" pictures.
Post the "before" pictures either way- and now!!!

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Rocky7 Likes This 
Old 10-29-2013, 12:52 AM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5650 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 372

be sure to remove the barrel and any part you dont want spatter on. you get the spatter from bits of flying molten steel you dont get em off without a file or grinder. get one in the chamber and the barrel is completely toast.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-29-2013, 01:28 AM   #23

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
be sure to remove the barrel and any part you dont want spatter on. you get the spatter from bits of flying molten steel you dont get em off without a file or grinder. get one in the chamber and the barrel is completely toast.
Good advice. I will either spin it off or plug it tight.....it's at least 45 mi. one way to get to a barrel wrench. It'd be the same gunsmith, probably. He's closest.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:31 AM   #24

Liked 185 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 56

The advice from kpatricn is right on. This is how you weld without creating a large heat affected zone. It is tedious, but you have to do it only once. And with TIG there is no weld spatter. Many little welds over a period of time can do the job well.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:52 PM   #25

Liked 55 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 44

It can definitely be done by a good tig welder. I used to be able to weld 2 pieces of aluminum foil together, but my eyes are older and my hand isn't as steady as it was then. You turn the heat down and use a smaller filler wire. It can be done but it won't be easy. If done carefully, Heat treating won't be necessary because only the surface will get hot and the bulk of the metal will cool the weld quickly if done a little at a time. You might find someone that does mold repair can do the job. Consider JB Weld?

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:11 PM   #26

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Thanks much. I thought of JB Weld,too, actually, but I think that over time the brass would eat into it or chip it.... This rifle uses belted magnum cases and the area that was ground is just above where the belt is pushed up by the spring - and then slides forward as the bolt forces it to the chamber.

Welding foil....wow. I'm a hack welder but still have some idea how difficult that would be. Way over my head.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
Thanks much. I thought of JB Weld,too, actually, but I think that over time the brass would eat into it or chip it.... This rifle uses belted magnum cases and the area that was ground is just above where the belt is pushed up by the spring - and then slides forward as the bolt forces it to the chamber.

Welding foil....wow. I'm a hack welder but still have some idea how difficult that would be. Way over my head.
Welding two pieces of aluminum foil is delicate but not that challenging to a skilled welder. I would be impressed to see somebody weld a piece if foil to an engine block or some other huge heat sink.

In high school I watched a guy weld a razor blade to an anvil. This wasn't one of those heavy gauge razor blades either, but one of those old school double-edged shaving razors. That was impressive.

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
Rocky7 Likes This 
Old 11-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #28

Liked 55 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Welding two pieces of aluminum foil is delicate but not that challenging to a skilled welder. I would be impressed to see somebody weld a piece if foil to an engine block or some other huge heat sink.

In high school I watched a guy weld a razor blade to an anvil. This wasn't one of those heavy gauge razor blades either, but one of those old school double-edged shaving razors. That was impressive.
IT's kind of like welding plastic bags together with a hot piece of wire, fast and steady. Not as hard as it sounds once you get the feel. Easy to mess up. It tends to distort easily. small tungsten, and low settings, no filler, move fast. Try it, you can do it. I didn't believe it till I saw it as a demonstration of Miller Machines on heavy gauge kitchen foil.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Last edited by dteed4094; 11-01-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Rocky7 Likes This 
Old 11-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
IT's kind of like welding plastic bags together with a hot piece of wire, fast and steady. Not as hard as it sounds once you get the feel. Easy to mess up. It tends to distort easily. small tungsten, and low settings, no filler, move fast. Try it, you can do it. I didn't believe it till I saw it as a demonstration of Miller Machines on heavy gauge kitchen foil.
Yeah, me too, but welding a very light piece of material to a very heavy piece? That takes skill!

Quote:

Old 11-02-2013, 02:15 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1879 Times on 1337 Posts
Likes Given: 2118

Default Anti splatter................

When ever you're welding and want to avoid all that splatter, cover the area to be welded, paint the area around it with high temp flat black paint. The bb's will roll right off and not stick..........

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........