Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Welding advice needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 03:27 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1296 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

I sure appreciate all your input. It's not what I was hoping for, but better to be disappointed here where it doesn't cost money.

Jon, I can't sue the guy. He's a likeable old fart and has done me a few good turns. He meant well and I prolly should've trusted my gut and stopped him.

I hoped it might be possible to lay it on ice or something and weld a line without heating the receiver too much...

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:51 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4483 Times on 2365 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
I sure appreciate all your input. It's not what I was hoping for, but better to be disappointed here where it doesn't cost money.

Jon, I can't sue the guy. He's a likeable old fart and has done me a few good turns. He meant well and I prolly should've trusted my gut and stopped him.

I hoped it might be possible to lay it on ice or something and weld a line without heating the receiver too much...
i can understand trusting someone like that. i did a similar with my beloved 458winmag and scope bases.

i dabble welding with making bbq pits. what welding does is melt steel so it pools and mixes with the weld rod/wire. no ammount of ice is going to offset the heat damage that the reciever will suffer. it doesnt take much heat to turn a reciever from a rifle to a bomb.

a welding arc is about 6500F the temp of the sun is 10000F on the surface. welding gets pretty hot.

i am always amazed at how fast it can heat a block of steel to burn through gloves while the part is held in pliers...

im not saying it cant be done but the weld and grind to fit is going to cost more than a new reciever.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Rocky7 Likes This 
Old 10-28-2013, 04:06 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 145 Times on 99 Posts

I think the "right" approach is to machine out the rail, and silver solder in a replacement. This keeps the temp down, so you don't muck up the receiver.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:17 AM   #14
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7364 Times on 4266 Posts
Likes Given: 9480

I know a welder I would trust to do it. He is one in a million though. Not many are that good. Put it this way, you trusted a gunsmith and he screwed it up. How many welders are you willing to let attempt it?

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Tig welding would be your best bet if your going to try welding it and it can't be done all at once. There is no arc splatter and your welder needs to do it in spots. What I'm saying is if it takes the whole day,then so be it. Spot weld in an area then move to the opposite end and do a spot weld then let it cool all the way off before doing it again. Then a couple of more spots in completely different areas and so on and so on. This will help prevent warping and pulling of the steel. Just hope the nozzle of the Tig gun will fit in were you need it. You can do body work with a tig with minimal warping and thats running a bead it's your coolest cleanest welding form.

Last edited by kpatricn; 10-28-2013 at 09:58 AM.
People Like This 
Old 10-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #16

Liked 647 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 390

Part of my job involves TIG welding. Under NO circumstances is this a job for MIG welding. And, JonM pretty much has it right, IMHO. So not worth the effort, get a new receiver. It'll be ridiculously hard to find a guy who WILL do it, and most of those guys probably COULDN'T do it. (Want it screwed up more?)

Does the receiver function properly? Is it "Ugly"'? Is the tampering obvious when assembled? Is it still strong enough to do it's job? If so, maybe you should just leave it alone. Or if not, I'd ask the old fart to split the cost of a new receiver with you.

How about some photos?

Old 10-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #17
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7364 Times on 4266 Posts
Likes Given: 9480

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Part of my job involves TIG welding. Under NO circumstances is this a job for MIG welding. And, JonM pretty much has it right, IMHO. So not worth the effort, get a new receiver. It'll be ridiculously hard to find a guy who WILL do it, and most of those guys probably COULDN'T do it. (Want it screwed up more?)

Does the receiver function properly? Is it "Ugly"'? Is the tampering obvious when assembled? Is it still strong enough to do it's job? If so, maybe you should just leave it alone. Or if not, I'd ask the old fart to split the cost of a new receiver with you.

How about some photos?
Yeah, some photos would help immensely.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 985 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 1778

Find someone that can TIG weld and do it well , Look at some of their work because I know alot of people that can TIG weld but their work isnt what I would call quality work. I had one guy " he is retired and out of the business now " that I had TIG stuff for me and if I told him to make it look like the rest of the factory welds , thats what it looked like when he was done. Wish he hadnt retired and sold off all his equipment because I have a couple other projects I could have used him for
TIG welding is a art as far as I'm concerned . Some people do it well , others are just plain artists with their work

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 10-28-2013 at 04:46 PM.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1354 Times on 1028 Posts
Likes Given: 1766

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
I have a custom 7mm that a gunsmith ground the rear 1" + on both feed rails to try fixing a feeding problem with longer handloads. His grinding didn't work and it turns out that wasn't the problem (it's now been fixed with, among other things, a stronger magazine spring).

Anyway, I'd like to get those feed rails welded and then stoned/ground back flush and smooth. The rails were left so rough I can see wee bits of brass under the feed rails.

We have a huge shortage of gunsmiths in Alberta.

Can a good welder do this? What should be done to prevent heating/warping the action? What's the process - MIG, TIG or ?

Any help here would sure be appreciated, 'specially from someone that's had welding like this done.

thanks.
Show pics of what you need done, place a scale next to said item. Will work from there............The only thing I can't weld is a broken heart, that is another catergory.......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 10-29-2013, 12:31 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1296 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

I might have line on a fussy guy and will show him the work next week. If he says he can do it and I get a good feeling, I will post "before" and "after" pictures.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

willshoum Likes This