Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Welding advice needed (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/welding-advice-needed-99565/)

Rocky7 10-27-2013 03:24 AM

Welding advice needed

I have a custom 7mm that a gunsmith ground the rear 1" + on both feed rails to try fixing a feeding problem with longer handloads. His grinding didn't work and it turns out that wasn't the problem (it's now been fixed with, among other things, a stronger magazine spring).

Anyway, I'd like to get those feed rails welded and then stoned/ground back flush and smooth. The rails were left so rough I can see wee bits of brass under the feed rails.

We have a huge shortage of gunsmiths in Alberta.

Can a good welder do this? What should be done to prevent heating/warping the action? What's the process - MIG, TIG or ?

Any help here would sure be appreciated, 'specially from someone that's had welding like this done.

thanks.

JayCody 10-27-2013 03:33 AM

I doubt that a welder would work on a firearm because they would be liable if anything were to happen and they don't have the right insurance.

Good luck

Rocky7 10-27-2013 03:51 AM

I sure hope that's not true. :(

JayCody 10-27-2013 04:07 AM

I would call the local gunsmiths and see if they can do it or send you to someone who can. How custom is it? It may make more sense to buy a new one.

JonM 10-27-2013 04:13 AM

that much welding is going to cause temper issues. the whole reciever would have to be re-heat treated. not an easy or cheap task. you would need to find a REALLY REALLY good welder as inside welding isnt easy.

then you would need a machinist to re-grind the rails.

then you will need somone that KNOWS how to heat treat rifle recievers.

prolly cheaper to replace the reciever.

i would consider legal action against the "gunsmith" for grinding on your rifle.

Rocky7 10-27-2013 05:34 PM

Crap.

How good is it? It's the first custom rifle I built and it was to be an heirloom. It will put 160 Accubonds into one raggedy hole. It has a Claro stock which is the only one I built that is not AAA English so that's really the only thing I don't love about it.

I was hoping for other advice.

I'd like to buy a vowel. :)

deathkricket 10-27-2013 06:15 PM

If it HAD to be done I would run a very fine MIG wire along the rails and build up a small bead, then take a set of fine die grinds and smooth it back down to the desired specifications. But I DON'T recommend it because you will get ditty balls, spatter or arc blow all in the action of the gun and then your in a whole different world of trouble. I have done repair work like this a good bit before but never on a rifle and unless I could remove said part out of the gun's action would never attempt it. Unless the rails are causing serious malfunctions I would leave them be, that beings said if they are rough a good polish will smooth them back out.

Rocky7 10-27-2013 07:27 PM

I don't mind spinning the barrel off. The bolt comes out, of course. So does the magazine box. That would/should leave fairly good access to the feed rails from the bottom of the action, don't you think???

KG7IL 10-27-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathkricket (Post 1415198)
If it HAD to be done I would run a very fine MIG wire along the rails and build up a small bead

I would think you'd create a heating issue. Annealing a receiver is not a good thing.

How would you address the heating . . that is hot enough to melt steel, but not affect the existing heat treat?
I am with Jon on the required steps.

deathkricket 10-27-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KG7IL (Post 1415270)
I would think you'd create a heating issue. Annealing a receiver is not a good thing.

It has already been stated it would need to be heat treated after the process is done. I also said I would never attempt it unless said part can be removed out of the receiver. I am not that mad of a scientist. I also said --->HAD<---:D