The way all craftsman should work
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum >

The way all craftsman should work

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 03:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 373 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Default The way all craftsman should work

As I dig deeper and deeper into my dream job, or at least passion, I can't help but share my thoughts on craftsmanship. I have worked a lot of construction jobs and food industry jobs and have learned a lot. Good enough for city work? NO. Back in the old days, things that were made at the benches of woodsmen and black smiths was stellar quality. If the grain of the wood was off, or the stain color, they wouldn't send it out. A lot of old companies used maker marks. And they were PROUD to brand their mark on their product, because they built it with quality and passion. Today we see very little of this, and we really need to bring it back to our lives. Be proud of what you made. If there is a mistake or you feel even a little uneasy about it, start over. Even if someone can't see it, it's a shame that you still send it out.

Take pride in your work and be humble. Be honored to put your marker's mark on the item.

Just my 2 cents on this. Tired of getting poor quality tools and other goods from "traditional" companies.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-07-2014, 03:25 AM   #2
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1045 Times on 489 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx View Post
As I dig deeper and deeper into my dream job, or at least passion, I can't help but share my thoughts on craftsmanship. I have worked a lot of construction jobs and food industry jobs and have learned a lot. Good enough for city work? NO. Back in the old days, things that were made at the benches of woodsmen and black smiths was stellar quality. If the grain of the wood was off, or the stain color, they wouldn't send it out. A lot of old companies used maker marks. And they were PROUD to brand their mark on their product, because they built it with quality and passion. Today we see very little of this, and we really need to bring it back to our lives. Be proud of what you made. If there is a mistake or you feel even a little uneasy about it, start over. Even if someone can't see it, it's a shame that you still send it out.

Take pride in your work and be humble. Be honored to put your marker's mark on the item.

Just my 2 cents on this. Tired of getting poor quality tools and other goods from "traditional" companies.
Live your life this way and you will prosper!
People Like This 
Old 05-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #3

Liked 359 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Well said. Someone I know has a few of the long barreled AK variants that he likes to shoot at long ranges. He was having some problems with one of them scattering shots all over the place, and discovered his scope base had worked loose from the receiver cover. (Old school mount.) The quick release base was simply riveted to a boxed sheet metal extension that was welded to the stamped receiver cover.

He took it to someone else who said they could fix it for him. Their solution was to MIG weld the tops of the rivets to the top of the mount to tighten it up. The owner went along his merry way with his freshly "repaired" scope mount. However the next time he went to the range, the scope flopped around again like a fish out of water after his first shot.

Then he brought it to me after this butchery.

I had to mill off the blobs of weld metal covering the holes before I could separate the parts. You can still see a bit of it in the second picture. Drilling out the remainder of the ALUMINUM rivets was fairly easy. Yes, they tried welding aluminum rivets to steel.

Under side of mount:

The way all craftsman should work - Gunsmithing Forum

Sitting on top of a machinists square:

After milling to get it flat and level again:

I also made a 3/16" thick retaining plate that I drilled and tapped for screws and slid it inside the boxed section of the receiver cover. I re-drilled and countersunk the mount to accept a couple of Torx screws and sandwiched the parts together. Add a couple of drops of Loc-Tite and torque down the screws. Done.

Some might call it overkill, but a wise man once taught me that if it's worth doing - it's worth doing well. The owner was pickled tink with it, and I'm pretty sure it won't be an issue for him any more.

Last edited by Highpower; 05-23-2014 at 06:58 PM.
People Like This 
Old 05-23-2014, 07:44 PM   #4

Great job and glad you went the extra mile!!!

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

Old 05-23-2014, 08:03 PM   #5

Liked 537 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 34

See a lot of that sort of attitude these days as in "It'll be right just a bit of a tap and a hit with the welder and jobs right" instead of doing the thing right from the start.
When I 1st started my apprenticeship as a mechanic I was taught to do the job once and do it right, measure twice cut once and if your not sure ask somebody who does.

There's nothing worse than having to do the same job twice as people won't stand for it and once a customer walks it's near impossible to get them back through the door again.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:00 PM   #6

Don't ever take half measures..

Old 05-23-2014, 09:30 PM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2880 Times on 1581 Posts
Likes Given: 810

"There is never time to do it right but always time to do it over." The contractors motto when they are pushing for 110%.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:44 PM   #8

Liked 1336 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 857

Quote:
Their solution was to MIG weld
I'm not a gunsmith, but I can weld, and have done so for a job. I'm pretty sure that a MIG welder has no place at a gunsmith's shop. A TIG welder? MAYBE. Trying to weld aluminum rivets to steel? Seriously?
I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:38 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

well in over 35 years as a mechanic, i have had my fair share of repairing other "so-called" mechanics screw-ups over the years.

some of you may have seen some bubbafied guns over the years, but you really need to see some of the bubba fixes people will do to vehicles! some i have seen just left me shaking my head, and some downright scared the crap out me, realizing it was driving on public roads.

i have put customers off, because it was going to take longer to do the job right, rather than rush through the job just to get it done and back to the customer. if i do the job correctly, their being upset because it took longer, pales in comparison to how upset they would be if the job wasn't fixed properly the first time.

i also explain why it took longer, so they understand what i have to deal with. sometimes i too am at the mercy of my vendors and shippers as much as any other business. sometimes it's because i have other jobs that took longer and i wasn't able to put in the quality time to repair theirs the way it needs to be done.

one thing i have learned over the years, is that someone who is really good at their profession is usually busy with work and sometimes backed up with work. someone who isn't or just doesn't care to do the job right, isn't. customers need to understand that those who are good and have lots of jobs, need to factor that in when they take their business to someone who does good work.
People Like This 
Old 05-24-2014, 04:19 AM   #10

Liked 359 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
I'm not a gunsmith, but I can weld, and have done so for a job. I'm pretty sure that a MIG welder has no place at a gunsmith's shop. A TIG welder? MAYBE. Trying to weld aluminum rivets to steel? Seriously?
His first problem was he didn't take it to a gunsmith, he took it to one of his friends. The sad thing is I knew the guy knows how to weld. He just didn't bother to check to see what the rivets were made of first. Regardless, it wasn't the best laid plan of action.

And I'm not a gunsmith either but have used both oxy/acetylene and TIG in several "smithing" projects of my own and wouldn't want to be without them. Can't say that I've ever used a MIG gun on a firearm though....

Heck, even Larry Potterfield fires up a TIG welder now and then.