warning on Japanese rifles. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > warning on Japanese rifles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 748 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 824

I cant find any stories to that effect..
If you do in fact have a explosive laden Arisaka, its the only one in existence and worth a mint, Id imagine.....

I have read that guns, swords, etc were used in booby traps, IE: tied to explosives or other traps, but not being the trap itself...

Last edited by Trez; 10-26-2012 at 08:30 PM.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #12

Liked 499 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 230

My father fought in the Pacific and it was a common practice for the enemy to leave swords on the ground, which were booby trapped, knowing that the Americans wouldn't hesitate snatching them up.

This might sound a little heartless and I am getting older having less scruples, but I'd just bring the rifle over to a gunsmith and ask him to fix it and leave him my phone number. After all he's the expert and please don't plant any scarey thoughts in his head.

Last edited by gunsmoke11; 10-26-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #13

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
BOOM!
Glocks are a lot like that.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #14
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

If I have it xrayed I will post pics. It may not be worth it depending on cost. If it is trapped I will jb weld the screws in and hang it on my wall. If not I will fix and sell it.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 78

My dad picked up an Arisaka infantry rifle and a sniper rifle when he went into Japan at wars end.
He got them at the garbage dump.
There were thousands of weapons in piles where they had just thrown them away.I never heard of one blowing up, but I can see someone who was bitter about losing the war doing something like that to his weapon before tossing it.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #16
hmh

Liked 148 Times on 102 Posts

We had a similar story about the ak battle field pick ups. They came down and gave free no consequence inspections. It was something about holes being drilled in the barrel that would when shot allow the gasses to explode the wood hand guard.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #17

Liked 748 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 824

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
If I have it xrayed I will post pics. It may not be worth it depending on cost. If it is trapped I will jb weld the screws in and hang it on my wall. If not I will fix and sell it.
You could send it to me... Im not scared!

Old 10-27-2012, 04:20 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 61 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 19

My dad brought an Arisaka back from the Pacific and as a kid I disassembled that thing two or three times (and got it back together...except for two tiny springs from the anti-aircraft deflection wings of the ladder sight) and nothing went "boom". You might note if the chrysanthemum emblem on the receiver is still intact or has been ground off. The grinding of the emblem was done by the allies to "de-militarize" the rifles and many (like mine) had the firing pin broken off short to further make them "safe". Arisaka's also have a butt-plate held on by screws without an access door for a cleaning kit so it would be extremely difficult for them to be sabotaged in the manner you describe. But your's might just be the exception that proves the legend, so take all precautions you believe necessary. Good luck with it.

"History teaches that war begins when nations believe that the price of aggression is cheap." - Ronald Reagan

Old 10-27-2012, 05:16 AM   #19

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

These stories have been around going back to WWII. Most of these yarns were that. The rifles were made to only fire so many rounds and then they would blow up. Yea, did I shoot 100 rounds or 101 rounds Oh, Sh*t!! The Nambu Pistols would explode and blow people up! Hell that little .380 sized cap would not kill a butterfly.

It was great for my kid brother and I. We were given old Jap rifles and pistols for free to only a few bucks. We rechambered them to 30-06 had no idea of the oversized bores. Any way I have never seen one of these James Hashimoto .007 super secret exploding Jap rifles.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #20

Liked 1623 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 2092

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
I cant find any stories to that effect..
If you do in fact have a explosive laden Arisaka, its the only one in existence and worth a mint, Id imagine.....

I have read that guns, swords, etc were used in booby traps, IE: tied to explosives or other traps, but not being the trap itself...
I concur that it was not uncommon to use weapons to trigger a booby trap.

I've not heard of the weapon itself made into one, but I'd err on the side of safety/