Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   warning on Japanese rifles. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/warning-japanese-rifles-75080/)

mountainman13 10-26-2012 12:57 PM

warning on Japanese rifles.

I have a WWII bring back sitting on my bench. The bolt is in pieces and stuck in the gun. The stock does not appear to have ever been removed nor does the butt pad. Do I take it apart?
The answer (for me Atleast) is NO.
Why?
They were occasionally boobie trapped.
I will have the gun X-rayed first.
I was talking to an old timer about it and he told me about his friend who got one in and had not been warned. He removed the butt pad and heard a click. He began to move his hand towards the opening in the stock to explore what the noise was and BOOM!
He lost three fingers on his right hand and a piece of wood shot clean through his left hand. He was lucky to survive but his gunsmithing career was over.
I like my fingers where they are and post this warning because I assume you do also.

Trez 10-26-2012 05:48 PM

I want some pics!! Ive never heard of that, let alone ever seen one! :)

I would think somebody wouda checked that out before bringing it home...

gunnut07 10-26-2012 06:42 PM

LOL WOW this old myth rearing it's head yet again. Man this one is an oldie.

mountainman13 10-26-2012 06:48 PM

Yeah its a myth. You keep thinking that.
I'll keep my fingers.

Dillinger 10-26-2012 06:54 PM

Huh. I can honestly say I have never heard this one, myth or not. :confused:

Seems feasible, but one would have to assume that the Japanese would have the forethought to consider their rifles to be battlefield pick ups.

Which means they would have had to conclude their troops were dead (or captured).

Which means they would have had to conclude they were at least losing ground.

If they did that, that is some sneaky tactics right there. There was no talk about that sh*t in Art of War. :o

texaswoodworker 10-26-2012 07:34 PM

If you hear a click, I suggest you run like hell. :eek:

Tackleberry1 10-26-2012 07:40 PM

MM...

I thought I'd heard em all but this is NEW one for me.

Exactly how or why would a soldier booby trap his own rifle. Particularly the Japanese who were arguably the most tennasious fighters we ever faced.

These guys would launch a bayonet charge into a line of flame thrower equipped tanks before they would surrender!

Now...if the story were captured French rifles blowing off German fingers...I'd buy that, hell, the French Manual of Arms only has 1 command. WE SURRENDER! :D

Tack

mountainman13 10-26-2012 08:51 PM

It was new to me too. This story was verified by two people who know the guy and they live on different sides of the country. It is true.
If they hadn't verified it separately, the gun wouldn't be sitting in a rack waiting to be x-rayed. No bs.

texaswoodworker 10-26-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 990846)
It was new to me too. This story was verified by two people who know the guy and they live on different sides of the country. It is true.
If they hadn't verified it separately, the gun wouldn't be sitting in a rack waiting to be x-rayed. No bs.

If it does end up being booby trapped, what will you do?

Tackleberry1 10-26-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 990846)

I don't doubt the story you heard MM. Just does not sound plausible from an enemy willing to fight to the last man as the Japanese were.

The x ray should be interesting, please post it when it comes in.

Tack