Want to get the right barrel
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Want to get the right barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Want to get the right barrel

I have a Winchester Model 1200 Police nickle plated shotgun. It will hold 6 rounds in the magazine whether its 2 3/4" or 3". I'm looking for a 18" barrel for it and I'm getting confused cause all the barrels I find are for 8 shot magazines. Talking with some of the sellers, they say the barrels are either 8 shot or 5 shot, apparently I don't have either. Is there a magazine length or some other way I can make sure I get the right barrel? I'm looking at the Model 1300 Marine barrels with the nickel finish, the police model 1200 seems impossible barrelto find. Thanks.. Rick

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1225 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 519

Most sporting shotguns of the semi-auto or pump leave the factory with a magazine capable of holding four shells + one in the chamber. There are magazine extension kits available to add three more shells (7+1) to the magazine and while one end screws onto the end of the guns factory magazine, the other end clamps to the guns barrel for support. The barrel needs to be long enough to facilitate the mag extension's clamp.

If you buy a tactical shotgun setup by the original manufacturer, it should have an extended magazine and a shorter barrel than what is normally used for hunting. Upland game barrels are usually 26 to 28 inches, and these are the most common lengths on general purpose shotguns.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:37 AM   #3

This shotgun isn't for hunting, just home defense. The magazine in it though is a (6 + 1) and none of the barrels I've looked at are made like that.. I've seen plenty of (7+1), but no (6+1), Is the police version unique, or is something else different?

Old 04-05-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1225 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 519

Based information given and internet searches, your shotgun left the factory with a six shot extended magazine. The gun was/is availbable in 4, 5 or 6 shell magazine options.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/File:WinchesterModel1300Defender.jpg

Is the gun in this link similar to the one you have?

Last edited by Gatoragn; 04-05-2011 at 11:30 AM.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:19 PM   #5

The shotgun is the same, other than mine is silver with nylon stock. The magazine on this appears to be an inch or so longer though(might be a different length barrel). I'm concerned about the magazine cap being in the right location to hold down the barrel. Thanks