Want to build a new rifle, not sure which.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Want to build a new rifle, not sure which.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Want to build a new rifle, not sure which.

Ive been thinking of building another rifle. Either another ar with 20 inch barrel, with flattop receiver, scope, bipods, the whole nine. Other option is a g3, cetme,etc. Any sugestions? I will post pics of my ar build from before.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2563 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

MP

Sounds exciting as there is just something about assembling a weapon from your own ideas and have it perform flawlessly. Sounds like you certainly enjoyed the sense of achievement from your first build. Congrats!!!!! Since I am an accuracy freak. It would seem to me you are referring to maybe building an extremely accurate rifle referring to your reference to the 20" Barrel with Scope and etc. With that in mind I have one that I built with a Rock River 20 Varmint Barrel with one of the Rock River 2 Stage Triggers in it. And believe it or not she will shoot right at 1/4 MOA groups at 100 yards when I am having a good day. I never is the rifle that lets me down on group size. I is the guy behind the trigger if you know what I mean. I have 4X14 scope on it at the present time. The only word of advise is when mounting a scope on it be sure to get a mount that will move the scope forward so the eye piece is even with the Charging Handle. That will give you proper eye relief either standing or prone.
Good Luck on your new build! Keep us informed and let us know if we can be of any help!

Last edited by Sniper03; 07-01-2011 at 03:44 PM.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:45 PM   #3

Hey, thanks for the quick response. As you put it, a 20inch varmint barrel was the option I was thinking. Im a little on the cheap side, and with that said, my 16 inch ar is sporting utg rails, and I didnt think I would like them, I absolutly love em, minus the weight, but thats not such a big deal. I didnt think about the objective lens "flush" with the charging handle. Im definatly thinking another ar, and do,the g3 once I get my house and shop up and running.

Are u marines, if so semper fi.
Cpl Matthew Taylor
3/2 Lima company 2nd plt.
2003-2007

Old 07-01-2011, 03:47 PM   #4

Oh, as for mount, I was just going to go with rings

Old 07-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2563 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

Matt,

Just going with rings is not the answer. Due to the fact if you get a decent scope whether it be a Leupold, Bushnell, Alaskan Guide from Cabala's or whatever. With using only the scope rings When you move the scope forward to try to get proper eye relief. It will not happen since the Elevation Turret will strike the back side of the front ring preventing it from being able to be moved far enough forward. This causing what we call goose necking to shot it even in the standing position. And you can forget prone! The Eye Piece of the scope would be about even with your ear at that point when proned out!

By the way thank you for your service to our great country!
I have been out of the Army since 1972!!!!

Old 07-01-2011, 11:45 PM   #6

Oh ok. I was infantry so when I saw 03, I figured u were usmc infantry

Old 07-02-2011, 06:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPTaylor View Post
Oh ok. I was infantry so when I saw 03, I figured u were usmc infantry
I was actually thinking of switching to the Marines, but even with the Army, I suck at pull-ups..lol I know I would have to go through USMC boot camp, but I wonder if they would allow me to retain my current MOS..

USAR - 31b
SPC Taylor, J.
2008-present

Old 07-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #8

I would imagine so. When I enlisted in june of 03, there were so many infantry spots open, then a few years later it was a 9-12 month wait just to get the mos signed for u. Nowadays it has come down, with marines getting out and reenlistees changing mos's. Talk to a recruiter. There was a marine in my unit in the same situation. He made it and served on two out of three tours with me. Oh, and dont worry, my best marine buddy was terrible at pull ups also. Just keep at it and they will come. Definatly go infantry. Theres a world of jobs open for grunts because of training and expierience. Let me know.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #9

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

This works for me;

Burris AR-P.E.P.R. QD Scope Mount

P.E.P.R. = Proper Eye Position Ready

pepr-qd-mount.jpg  

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-21-2011, 02:33 AM   #10

How expensive are those Burris mounts?
Dave