Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Walther P22 FTF w/ Picture

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2008, 09:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Walther P22 FTF w/ Picture

Hello, any help on this would be awesome.

Sorry it's a bit blurry but you get the gist of it.

This happens all the time, even when first chambering! Randomly when shooting as well almost every single shot.

Ammo is Winchester 22lr HollowPoints. Is getting worse as time goes on for some reason.

The gun is well maintained and I only shoot it from clean. I want to use it as a "starter" gun for my friends and family but it needs to be alot more reliable!

I did some searching and there were issues with earlier models of this weapon and the magazine but this mag and gun do not fall within the date/serial range.

Thanks for your expert help in advance.

PS: I did try to give the feed ramp a good polish this last time and it still jams on chambering and thus I assume firing as well.

When it jams you need to rip out the mag and rack, the bullet then falls out and does not get ejected.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-20-2008, 09:44 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Is there enough meat to the ramp area for you to lower it a little? Have you tried other flavors of ammo?

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:52 PM   #3

Should be getting some new ammo to try this weekend.

Need to pick up a dremel!

I will try it out and see what happens, stinks that a NIB gun would end up needing mods to even operate. (I guess that's why my CCW is a SIG, haha.)

Last edited by Roastie; 11-20-2008 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Stupidity

Old 11-20-2008, 09:59 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

My experience with pistols is mostly 1911s. I know with them a lowered feed ramp helps them feed a wider variety of ammo.

I also know that in the several .22LR rifles that I've used a different brand of ammo usually helps clear up feeding problems.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 11-23-2008, 01:01 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I had a P-22 for a while, i always ran CCI stingers through it, and never had a problem. Start with different ammo.

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:19 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

yes try cci, i had an old american standard 22lr that was very picky on what it would eat i tryd everything from winchester to remington then decided to stop buying 500 round boxes and tryd the cci's. even though for the price of 500 rounds i only got 100 but since then she ate'em up like a pig. i would recommend the maxi mags from cci. hope this helps

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 12-04-2008, 05:58 AM   #7

Update:

I decided that I would hold off on ordering the CCI Minis due to the price of the ammo. (Figured I would just keep working up until I found ammo that would work.)

Went to Wal-Mart and grabbed a box of Federal 22LR. (550 Pack, cheapo stuff.)

Took the gun out and had not 1 FTF issue. Must of been the Winchester ammo just didn't agree! (Was shooting while the first snowfall came, brrr!)

Wanted to update the thread in the event someone else stumbles across the same issue. Also, thanks to all that posted thoughts and ideas, spot on!

Old 12-04-2008, 01:59 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roastie View Post
Update:

I decided that I would hold off on ordering the CCI Minis due to the price of the ammo. (Figured I would just keep working up until I found ammo that would work.)

Went to Wal-Mart and grabbed a box of Federal 22LR. (550 Pack, cheapo stuff.)

Took the gun out and had not 1 FTF issue. Must of been the Winchester ammo just didn't agree! (Was shooting while the first snowfall came, brrr!)

Wanted to update the thread in the event someone else stumbles across the same issue. Also, thanks to all that posted thoughts and ideas, spot on!
That cheap Federal tends to run pretty well in everything that I've run it through.

Roger Waters

Old 12-11-2008, 10:57 PM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Check the bolt face and extractor for damage or debris if you haven't. Could have a sliver of lead lying in there somewhere.

Last edited by gorknoids; 12-11-2008 at 11:00 PM.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:23 AM   #10

I've always had good perfomance with Federal ammo and not too good with Winchester. But most of my feeding problems with both rimfire and centerfire could usually be traced back to bad magazines once the ammo was ruled out.