Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Walther P22 FTF w/ Picture (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/walther-p22-ftf-w-picture-8593/)

Roastie 11-20-2008 09:38 PM

Walther P22 FTF w/ Picture

Hello, any help on this would be awesome.

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/r...tie/p22jam.jpg
Sorry it's a bit blurry but you get the gist of it.

This happens all the time, even when first chambering! Randomly when shooting as well almost every single shot.

Ammo is Winchester 22lr HollowPoints. Is getting worse as time goes on for some reason.

The gun is well maintained and I only shoot it from clean. I want to use it as a "starter" gun for my friends and family but it needs to be alot more reliable!

I did some searching and there were issues with earlier models of this weapon and the magazine but this mag and gun do not fall within the date/serial range.

Thanks for your expert help in advance.

PS: I did try to give the feed ramp a good polish this last time and it still jams on chambering and thus I assume firing as well.

When it jams you need to rip out the mag and rack, the bullet then falls out and does not get ejected.

matt g 11-20-2008 09:44 PM

Is there enough meat to the ramp area for you to lower it a little? Have you tried other flavors of ammo?

Roastie 11-20-2008 09:52 PM

Should be getting some new ammo to try this weekend.

Need to pick up a dremel!

I will try it out and see what happens, stinks that a NIB gun would end up needing mods to even operate. (I guess that's why my CCW is a SIG, haha.)

matt g 11-20-2008 09:59 PM

My experience with pistols is mostly 1911s. I know with them a lowered feed ramp helps them feed a wider variety of ammo.

I also know that in the several .22LR rifles that I've used a different brand of ammo usually helps clear up feeding problems.

truevil1313 11-23-2008 01:01 PM

I had a P-22 for a while, i always ran CCI stingers through it, and never had a problem. Start with different ammo.

sgtdeath66 11-24-2008 12:19 AM

yes try cci, i had an old american standard 22lr that was very picky on what it would eat i tryd everything from winchester to remington then decided to stop buying 500 round boxes and tryd the cci's. even though for the price of 500 rounds i only got 100 but since then she ate'em up like a pig. i would recommend the maxi mags from cci. hope this helps

Roastie 12-04-2008 05:58 AM

Update:

I decided that I would hold off on ordering the CCI Minis due to the price of the ammo. (Figured I would just keep working up until I found ammo that would work.)

Went to Wal-Mart and grabbed a box of Federal 22LR. (550 Pack, cheapo stuff.)

Took the gun out and had not 1 FTF issue. Must of been the Winchester ammo just didn't agree! (Was shooting while the first snowfall came, brrr!)

Wanted to update the thread in the event someone else stumbles across the same issue. Also, thanks to all that posted thoughts and ideas, spot on!

matt g 12-04-2008 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roastie (Post 54074)
Update:

I decided that I would hold off on ordering the CCI Minis due to the price of the ammo. (Figured I would just keep working up until I found ammo that would work.)

Went to Wal-Mart and grabbed a box of Federal 22LR. (550 Pack, cheapo stuff.)

Took the gun out and had not 1 FTF issue. Must of been the Winchester ammo just didn't agree! (Was shooting while the first snowfall came, brrr!)

Wanted to update the thread in the event someone else stumbles across the same issue. Also, thanks to all that posted thoughts and ideas, spot on!

That cheap Federal tends to run pretty well in everything that I've run it through.

gorknoids 12-11-2008 10:57 PM

Check the bolt face and extractor for damage or debris if you haven't. Could have a sliver of lead lying in there somewhere.

DBox 12-12-2008 03:23 AM

I've always had good perfomance with Federal ammo and not too good with Winchester. But most of my feeding problems with both rimfire and centerfire could usually be traced back to bad magazines once the ammo was ruled out.