Walther Model 8 restoration?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Walther Model 8 restoration?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Walther Model 8 restoration?

birfWaffenfabrik Walther Zella-Mehlis (Thur.) Model 8 Is the full name, I dont know if that means anything special.

Basically, my grandfather liberated it from a Tiger tank commander when they took it out on foot(And apparently took a round from it, too.) It was lost since about the 70's, and I found it at my grand mothers when helping her move some files around the house.

My father and I have cleaned it and put about five rounds though it, but the ejector/extractor only seems to work twice before it fails and the casing stove-pipes at best. This is the exact same thing that happens simply cycling rounds by hand as well.

I'd like to get it back to its original condition, my father really doesnt agree with that, but honestly, this is a historical piece and it deserves to look good and be able to shoot.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-29-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I agree with making it functional but highly disagree with refinishing it. If you refinish it you'll instantly lose at least 1/2 to 2/3 of the collector's value. You need to take it to your local smith for repair.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!