Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   US Revolver 38 top break (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/us-revolver-38-top-break-73847/)

lawman3980 10-07-2012 12:31 AM

US Revolver 38 top break

I recently acquired a US Revolver Top Break Pistol. All in all it looks like its in ok shape but the cylinder seems to have a little more play then I would like or feel comfortable firing. Anyone have any suggestions on an inexpensive fix. I know the gun is not worth much but it looks cool, which is why I got it.

hiwall 10-07-2012 02:48 AM

you have to narrow it down a little. is the play end to end on the cylinder? or with the trigger held back after firing, is there alot of side to side play? or does the cylinder wobble on the center pin?

c3shooter 10-07-2012 03:03 AM

As you may know, US Revolver Company was a second brand of the Iver Johnson Company. Plainer design and finish, but decently made. Like the other IJ products, cylinder is not locked except when at full cock- is free spnning other times. That troubles some folks- is normal.

lawman3980 10-07-2012 10:51 AM

The play is side to side and when hammer is cocked. The movement isn't much but when I compare it to newer revolvers I own it seems excessive.

hiwall 10-07-2012 01:26 PM

you should check that with the trigger pulled and held back(like at time of firing). the hand opening in the frame can become enlarged, the hand can have wear, and the ratchet can have wear, also center pin, bolt & bolt engagement recess(if your model has a bolt), wear can cause this. seldom is it just one thing but instead wear in all areas. anything can be fixed but sometimes you have to ask Why.

lawman3980 10-07-2012 01:52 PM

Thanks for the info, I'll check that when I get home. From what I can see the gun has been fired a lot so it probably is worn. I hope it's fixable.

lawman3980 10-08-2012 12:45 AM

Hiwall, I checked the gun with the trigger pulled back and the movement is the same. I also found a little back and forth play as well. Not looking good for an easy inexpensive fix I think. Any suggestions?

hiwall 10-08-2012 02:28 AM

there are just to many things to say without an in-hand examination. plus it is subjective as far as "seems like alot" of movement. sorry there is a limit as to what we can do over the net. there are even more factors than what I listed above. sometimes an oversize hand can be made to fix some of the play.

gunsmoke11 10-08-2012 02:49 AM

Check with Numrich Arms(Gun Parts) West Hurley NY for a replacement hand for your model revolver. Nine out of ten times that's the problem and it's easy to replace. The part has to be cheap if they have it in stock. You have nothing to lose. That gun's basically a wall hanger anyway and isn't worth upsetting yourself over it too much. Good luck.

lawman3980 10-08-2012 04:03 AM

Thanks for all the input. I'll give Numrich Arms a try and see what happens. The gun free anyway so I'm not going to drop a ton into it. I just figured if it would be fun to get it shooting again.