Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > unavailable gun parts that need making

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 04:29 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

SKS Hammers...

Old 12-02-2010, 05:28 AM   #12

Mini 14 and Mini 30 Firing pins and other Ruger restricted parts.

John K

Old 12-04-2010, 07:22 PM   #13

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Crack shot 26 barrels. Most are in poor shape borewise. I picked up an old barrel from a pile of about 200. Icut the reciever end off with a hacksaw, Spent 2 days filing a channel for the extractor and a dovetail for mounting hole for mounting to the reciever. and making an extractor. With the right equipment I would estimate about 1-2 hours work. I paid $10 for the barrell I started with. When I got done the barrel had a 2 degree cant but does work. alot of hand work.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #14

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman55 View Post
Mini 14 and Mini 30 Firing pins and other Ruger restricted parts.

John K
+1 on these, and extractors.

Also, CZ52 firing pins that are properly heat treated.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-09-2010, 11:12 PM   #15

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 36

A lot of the parts everyone is asking for, are cheap parts and would not be $$ wise to produce.
Like the firing pins, I'm sure you wouldn't want to pay $50 to $80 for one.
By the time you figure in cost of material, machine set-up, cost of running the tooling, heat treat cost, packaging and shipping, and a big jump in insurance cost when they find out that you are making gun parts because of liability.
That is about how much it would cost to make a small run of them, and making a large run of them would not sell.
If you need a small part to replace a broken one try some of the smaller machine shops or one in a small town. You may have to spend a lot more than you want to but you will have your gun working again.

Last edited by 7.62 Man; 12-09-2010 at 11:21 PM.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:29 PM   #16

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default A bit more ambitious...

There are no barrels available for the old style 'pinned' barrel S&W model 19 revolvers. A cracked barrel makes the revolver completely unusable.

I'm not sure how to market them, but I know there are some folks who would be delighted to see replacements.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Old 12-14-2010, 06:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
+1 on these, and extractors.

Also, CZ52 firing pins that are properly heat treated.
You can buy spare extractors, but the FP's and trigger group parts are restricted. The only aftermarket FP is junk and breaks within 500 rnds.

If you could re design and make a good Mini fP, you would sell them like crazy.
Here's why, first, they break a lot, second, if you have modified your rifle in any way, Ruger will replace the FP, but takes out and keeps all your mods replacing them with their new junk parts.
No one wants to send their Minis to Ruger to get a new FP, but they have no choice.
The new model improved Minis are selling very well, but still break FP's and everyone I know would buy 2 or 3 spares if they could get a new pin. People will pay a decent amount for a Mini FP as long as it does not break.

If you ever want to make a new FP, PM me, I can give you a lot of info on the Mini's.

John K