unavailable gun parts that need making
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > unavailable gun parts that need making

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default unavailable gun parts that need making

With the economy being what it is , I would like to know of "popular" gun parts that are not available, metal or plastic that some of us with machining skills could manufacture on the side. America was once a leading manufacturing country and most of it all started in someone's garage. So if some of us are slow business wise in our shops this could be work for us to do. Aftermarket replacement parts. What think ye all? Legalities?? Thanks, rj

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-14-2010, 10:00 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2794 Times on 1618 Posts
Likes Given: 1218

Avoid copyright infringement (if applicable). Some parts have to be made due to age of firearm, closed manufacturer, etc... Sometimes the homemade part allows the firearm to "fit" better or function better. Making a firearm, changing a firearm to NFA, full auto parts without the proper papers is definitely a no-no.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-14-2010, 10:25 PM   #3

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Making them is one thing. Making them to sell and doing it cheaply enough to make them sell and still make enough to keep doing it is another thing.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:45 PM   #4

Thanks for the comments guys. I was also thinking of consumable parts like buffers, firing pins, ejecters mainly "out of production" parts that if made would keep someones favorite gun going. rj

Old 05-15-2010, 01:05 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2794 Times on 1618 Posts
Likes Given: 1218

Take a gander at e-gunparts.com. There are a lot of things that are no longer available. If you can get specs, then there may be a good market.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-15-2010, 03:00 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8706 Times on 3766 Posts
Likes Given: 1339

Buttplates. Pure plastic injection molding, but an easily damaged part, and one that can be a buoger to find on older rifles. Not a regulated part like a receiver, no proof testing like a barrel- cheap to make, easy to market.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 06-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #7

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Reliably working Colt .32 magazines. Lots of Colt 32 type 'looks-like' magazines being made and sold today, but none that actually work well in a Colt 32. Colt had a secret to making them, but the clone guys haven't learned the 'how-to' yet.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #8

Do you have a CNC shop?

Bob Hostetter

Old 06-05-2010, 11:37 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Years ago I had a .22 rifle that my grandpa gave me. a piece in the bolt broke and none were available. I would have paid a premium to someone like you who could have made me one.

I think this market must exist and I wish you luck.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:45 AM   #10

Default LC Smith fireing pin bushings?

One part that must be very rare is the fireing pin bushings for old LC Smiths. I have one that needs both but they are scarce. That would be a start but I don't know how you would determine the need to manufacture these--Just a thought--Hmmmmmmm.