Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   trigger work on winchester 190 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/trigger-work-winchester-190-a-13985/)

t.fowler99 05-19-2009 11:00 PM

trigger work on winchester 190
 
I'm working on winchester model 190. When you pull the trigger it almost hit the back of the trigger guard before it hit the sear. I try working the sear but I'm not get anywhere with it. The trigger pull on it is real heavy. Is their some way of moving the trigger up to the sear. Is there a gun with the same trigger systerm.I need some help.

sfguy 07-09-2009 06:36 PM

Winchester 190
 
I wish I could help you, I need help myself. I let one of my son's friends talk me into looking at his model 190. It is about to drive me nuts. When I work the bolt the hammer cocks everytime but when I shoot it, the hammer never gets cocked for the next shot. I feel that it is something to do with the disconnector but everything looks all right. I can't figure it out and am about to sell it for parts.

john323 07-09-2009 07:01 PM

Win 290 is the same.Check gun parts,they might have what you need. Sorry I'm in So Cal and unable to look at it for you.It could be just normal wear.

.22hustler 07-09-2009 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfguy (Post 126841)
I wish I could help you, I need help myself. I let one of my son's friends talk me into looking at his model 190. It is about to drive me nuts. When I work the bolt the hammer cocks everytime but when I shoot it, the hammer never gets cocked for the next shot. I feel that it is something to do with the disconnector but everything looks all right. I can't figure it out and am about to sell it for parts.

Does the bolt come all the way forward after you shoot it?? Or does it just not cycle after you fire it???? What could be happening is that the plunger going into the back of the reciever is getting stuck, and not allowing the plunger to push the bolt back into battery. I had a buddy's 290 that was doing what you describe, and I chucked up the plunger in my drill press, and took a file to the shoulder of the plunger making it smaller, and allowing it to go into the rear end of the reciever. Check it out, and let me know. I've done quite a bit of work on 290's, but not on the trigger.

sfguy 07-10-2009 01:42 PM

190
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by .22hustler (Post 126858)
Does the bolt come all the way forward after you shoot it?? Or does it just not cycle after you fire it???? What could be happening is that the plunger going into the back of the reciever is getting stuck, and not allowing the plunger to push the bolt back into battery. I had a buddy's 290 that was doing what you describe, and I chucked up the plunger in my drill press, and took a file to the shoulder of the plunger making it smaller, and allowing it to go into the rear end of the reciever. Check it out, and let me know. I've done quite a bit of work on 290's, but not on the trigger.

Everything seems to work properly. I shoot it, it cycles back and forward, as far as I can tell but the sear does not catch the hammer to cock it. When I cycle it by hand, it works normally. I believe now that it is something to do with the trigger or disconnector because you are holding the trigger back when you shoot it and it does not work right but when you cycle it by hand, you are not holding the trigger. I replaced the hammer with a new one and did not help. Everything looks good not much wear or use on the parts.

.22hustler 07-10-2009 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfguy (Post 127186)
Everything seems to work properly. I shoot it, it cycles back and forward, as far as I can tell but the sear does not catch the hammer to cock it. When I cycle it by hand, it works normally. I believe now that it is something to do with the trigger or disconnector because you are holding the trigger back when you shoot it and it does not work right but when you cycle it by hand, you are not holding the trigger. I replaced the hammer with a new one and did not help. Everything looks good not much wear or use on the parts.

Ok, thought I could help... Replace the sear, and surrounding pieces.

sfguy 07-12-2009 06:17 PM

trigger work 190
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by .22hustler (Post 127319)
Ok, thought I could help... Replace the sear, and surrounding pieces.

Everything looks normal except when you have the trigger housing and look at it from the rear, the arm on the disconnector that catches the step on the back of the sear is bent toward the left. Is this nomal? If I cycle the action by hand, not holding the trigger back, the sear catches the hammer every time but when I shoot it, it shoots and reloads the next cartridge OK but does not cock the hammer. If I cycle the action by hand, holding the trigger back it does not catch the hammer either, but if I cycle it again, still holding the trigger it will catch.

.22hustler 07-12-2009 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfguy (Post 128076)
Everything looks normal except when you have the trigger housing and look at it from the rear, the arm on the disconnector that catches the step on the back of the sear is bent toward the left. Is this nomal? If I cycle the action by hand, not holding the trigger back, the sear catches the hammer every time but when I shoot it, it shoots and reloads the next cartridge OK but does not cock the hammer. If I cycle the action by hand, holding the trigger back it does not catch the hammer either, but if I cycle it again, still holding the trigger it will catch.

Man, can't help you much. If you were closer, we could look at it compared to my 290. Don't know what to tell you..

sfguy 07-13-2009 04:53 PM

190
 
I think I found the problem and it had nothing to do with sear or triggers, etc. The hammer is coming too far forward and battering the feeding housing and has pushed it in quite a bit as well as part of the trigger housing, It is moving forward and sliding in beside the lifter and I think the lifter is binding it just enough to slow it down and not coming back far enough to cock the hammer. It never had any problems feeding though. I am tired of fooling with it and am going to take it to a gun show this weekend and ask $75 for it. I will explain to the buyer what I think the problem is and he can buy it as is.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:43 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.