trigger job
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > trigger job

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 03:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default trigger job

I would like to lessen the trigger pull on my daughters p22 shes five and has a hard time pulling the trigger anyone want to walk me through it

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-09-2012, 03:35 AM   #2

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

She's five. My son is six. He shoots. I think I personally recommend a different gun. Do you really think lightening the trigger pull on a semi auto for a five year old is really that freaking great of an idea? I hope you get no help from anyone here. Can she even properly HOLD the gun? How about a bolt action and a bench?

Old 06-09-2012, 03:58 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21988 Times on 12398 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i agree with Trip. doing something like this on pistol for use by a five year old seems like a very bad idea. if wanting to start her shooting, then get one of the single shot 22 rifles made for child. much safer and way better to teach them about shooting and doing it safely. i think a pistol and a five year old, even the P22 is a bad combination.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:42 AM   #4

Liked 295 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Tactical Toddlers wear Magpul diapers.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #5

Thanks for your concern to set the record straight she's turning 6 this month she has a pink cricket she's been shooting said she was two been at the range practically her whole life and safety is my biggist concerned this is her first handgun and she is always supervized I realize it's scary but some point you have to make the transition from bench shooting to standing shooting

Old 06-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #6

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

First, punctuation is our friend. Second, if you want to figure out how to lighten the trigger pull of a semi auto for a 5/6 year old, I am going to guess you won't find out how to do it here.
And there is absolutely nothing wrong with a child shooting a handgun. My son's pistol of choice is a single action revolver "just like a cowboy".
If you are intent on doing this, fine. You may actually find help here. I just hope you don't. Accidents happen all the time, and customizing the function of a semi for a child is just asking for it in my opinion, no matter how much you dig safety. How about the 9 year old boy who killed himself with an uzi at a machine gun shoot a few years ago? He had his father, a safety officer, and a law enforcement officer RIGHT THERE AT HIS SHOULDER!!! Sh!t happens, some of us just don't ask for second helpings.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #7

I'm sorry Trip is this a gun or grammar forum. R u really going to compare a full auto uzi to a semi auto p22 don't be a douch

Old 06-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybread223 View Post
I'm sorry Trip is this a gun or grammar forum. R u really going to compare a full auto uzi to a semi auto p22 don't be a douch
no Trip isn't a douche, but has brought up some valid points that maybe you need to heed. in the hands of a five year old with a lightened trigger, yes i would compare it to a full uzi! if you are dead set on teaching her to shoot a pistol, then start her out with a single action revolver in 22. a pistol with a lightened trigger isn't for a child, newbie or the inexperianced shooter by any means regardless of the caliber. an accident can happen much quicker than you think. if your five year old isn't able to pull the trigger, then maybe common sense on your part should tell you that she isn't ready for that pistol yet. you can do want you want, but i sure hope no one has to pay the ultimate price for your arrogance!

Old 06-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #9

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

As a father, gunsmith and former firearms instructor/safety officer I Must agree with Trip and Axxe. If nothing else you should have takin away that even with 3 people surrounding the child watching out for his safety an accident still occurred taking the child's life! It was not to compare the guns! Although I agree a semi or fully auto weapon in a child's hand does increase the risk of an accident such as an "accidental discharge" becoming multiple discharges.

Keep up with the trends, avoid the fads, take your time and do work you can be proud of always

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-10-2012, 02:16 AM   #10

thank you Bear for the support in this thread. i personally see doing something of this nature as irresponsible on his part as a father, to put his own child in possible danger just for the sake of teaching her to shoot something she is probably in all reality not anywhere near ready for. i hope he rethinks the comments made here and changes his idea of such a foolish thought of trying to modify a pistol for a five year old child, before tragedy has a chance to possibly change their lives permamently.

i will even venture this may not have been thought of. what of the possible legal problems that could occur for him if there was, God forbid an accidental shooting? child endangerment, negligent manslaughter, and other possible charges for modifying a firearm to make it easier for a child to shoot. just some other things to mull over when you pick up a firearm and want to modify it for a child.

you can think i am an a$#%$@e if you want, but my consience would not allow me not to say what i feel about this idea and try to avert what could have tragic results for you and your family.