TRAKS Gunsmithing....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > TRAKS Gunsmithing....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default TRAKS Gunsmithing....

Just wanted to say if anybody needs a great gunsmith who really does quality work please give Kurt a call at Traks Gunsmithing they are located in NJ.. It started when I first picked up my Steyer Model 1952 in 270 it was a nice gun I got it for a deal very cheap. The problem was the scope mounted was broken it had an old Kuharsky and Bros mount that wasnt complete and it wouldnt let the scope sit level and the wood was in not so great shape... I brought the gun to hunt with and use anyway I brought it too a few gunsmith who said basically the gun wasnt worth that much and that it was fine the way it was. Even me who is not a trained gunsmith new something was wrong and I wasnt gonna be able to use the gun like that..

So I looked up Traks talk to the guy on the phone and he was just a cool guy he told me to come in. I brought him the gun and right away he told me the gun was nice he said he could work on the wood and make the scope mount work regardless of what he had to do.. I like those answers.. He took the gun on and here is where having a great gunsmith like that is awesome he would call me almost everyday giving me an update he found that the gun was actually about $2500 and that the scope mount had to be redone.

Now all this you might say is nothing special but we had a few issues threw the gun work he ordered scope mounts from a company that said they made the original mounts for this gun we got them and they didnt fit we had to return them and we got whacked with a restocking fee, well he didnt charge me and it wasnt a few pennies, also he had about 20 hours in research that he didnt charge me for and I have dealt with guys that had time in researching that charge you for it, he did so much extra stuff on this gun that he didnt even charge me for I felt bad.

When I got the gun back it looked like I just bought the gun from Steyer the wood work he did was amazing he had to make the scope mount himself and we used my Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x40 for it the gun had a nice old Baush and Lomb Balvar 8A 2.5x8 but it has not elev or wind adjustments so thats why we decided on the Nikon. He told me that he took this project on and he felt like it was his own gun so he didnt mind doing all these things and you never hear stuff like that anymore shops only care about MONEY there is no personal experience anymore well you make a friend and you have a guy that you bring all your stuff too... Well this is the guy number one he is a Disabled Vet so nothing further to say and the guy is a true profesional great gunsmith this is a friend now and he really worked his ass off on the gun I could really tell he cared about everything that went and happened to this gun and I wanted to share my experience cause it was rare at least to me... If you need a gunsmith give this guy a call he does amazing work and take care of his customers..

026.jpg   027.jpg   028.jpg   029.jpg  

Last edited by Los270; 01-10-2013 at 01:14 PM.
axxe55 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3064 Times on 1761 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

Welcome to the FTF. Stop by our "Introductions" area.

Good write up and good pics. Thanks for the input.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Welcome to the FTF. Stop by our "Introductions" area.

Good write up and good pics. Thanks for the input.
Thnx will do brother...

Old 01-13-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Ruger 10/22

My wife bought a new Ruger 10/22 in September. We've had it to the range three times and the gun keeps jamming. Quite often it just won't load a round. The block picks up the round, and then jams it just high of the chamber opening. We're using Winchester 333 Rounds. I think that's the ammo name. The box reads, "22 Long Rifle, 36grain, 1289 fps. I've never seen it before. Is it any good? Is the bullet too light for a semi-auto rifle? Do we need to use a heavier bullet? It looks like the round can't get out of the magazine. Do I send it back to Ruger or can somebody finesse it?

Last edited by mudflat; 01-13-2013 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Ask another question.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:47 PM   #5

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudflat
My wife bought a new Ruger 10/22 in September. We've had it to the range three times and the gun keeps jamming. Quite often it just won't load a round. The block picks up the round, and then jams it just high of the chamber opening. We're using Winchester 333 Rounds. I think that's the ammo name. The box reads, "22 Long Rifle, 36grain, 1289 fps. I've never seen it before. Is it any good? Is the bullet too light for a semi-auto rifle? Do we need to use a heavier bullet? It looks like the round can't get out of the magazine. Do I send it back to Ruger or can somebody finesse it?
My 10/22 jams up quite a bit when I use banana clips, but runs fine when I use the factory mag. But my rifle was made in the 80's so that could have something to do with the jamming in my rifle

Old 01-14-2013, 05:23 AM   #6

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
Sorry bout the 10/22 should have bought a marlin, but yes u can have it checked out by any smith, no need to mail it back to ruger. Take the gun an clean the hell out of it that will help no new gun is a clean gun. You must clean an inspect before shooting it. Not saying u didnt but if not get busy cleaning then go choot it ya.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default 10/22

Thanks for the info, and suggestions. I know about the Marlin, she wanted the Ruger!? Oh well. I've tried fine (400 grit) sanding all the edges of the magazine's exit path, they were rough. I even think the return spring isn't strong enough, but I'll take it to a gunsmith first.

Thanks fellas.